Chapter 50: The Anticipation

"I'm coming in." Eda whispered.

Eda walked into Luz's bedroom, carrying a bowl of peppered noodles. Her hope was that the food would be comforting.

Luz barely moved from her position, but she did seem to notice Eda come in. She leaned into Stringbean, who was giving free snuggles today.

Eda sat at the edge of the bed. She placed the bowl next to Luz, who eventually sat up to begin eating it.

After her silent return the night before, Eda wondered what could have Luz so upset. Eventually, the young witch had told her thee next morning. So far, the day had been spent with comfort in mind.

"I know that this is hard... but you'll heal overtime. Maybe after a bit, you and Blight can talk things out." Eda said this, trying to be helpful.

But Luz knew better. She hadn't said a word about Lilith, or the realization she had. Even if she wanted to talk about her feelings to Amity, she would just be putting her crush in danger.

Luz sighed, deciding to eat her food. It was pretty good. "Thank you, Eda."

"No problem, kid."

Ding.

Eda got up to get the doorbell. She was hoping it wasn't Lilith again.

Once she finally reached the door, Eda looked through the peephole to see who it was. She was pleasantly surprised to see who it was, and opened the door immediately. "When did you find out my address?"

"Sorry for the unexpected visit." Willow said. Something about her smile felt a bit forced.

"Luz sent a message a while ago. W just never got to come over." Gus pulled out his phone to show the proof, but Eda stopped him.

"Come on in." Eda gestured for them to follow. "Honestly, this is probably the best time the two of you could have shown up unexpectedly."

Willow and Gus gave each other looks of confusion. Why would now be the perfect time?

Once they reached Luz's room, everything made a bit more sense.

"Oh, hey guys..." Luz scrambled out of bed, trying to make herself presentable. Her hair was a mess, and she still had pajamas on when it was 1:23 in the afternoon. "I-I didn't realize you'd show up today. Welcome to my room."

"Uh... are you good?" Gus asked.

'Y-Yeah." Luz lied.

Willow looked around. It didn't look very personalized, without any posters or anything like that. But considering Luz had been here for less than a year, it made sense. 

"So, what can I do for you?" Luz asked in an overly cheery way.

Willow rubbed her head. "We were hoping you'd be able to come with it to the fair. Since you got to scout it out yesterday."

"O-Oh." Luz's smile faltered, but she tried to shake off her funk. "Sure. Just give me a few minutes to get ready."

Willow and Gus left the room so she could change. Once the door closed, Willow leaned against the wall.

Gus patted her shoulder. "We just need to find the right moment to ask. We've got this."

"I know." Willow responded. "But last time I confronted her, I only made things worse."

"Last time, you were gatekeeping Luz over her social life." Gus stated. "This time, we're confronting her on more telling us about an invasion."

Willow nodded, but her unease wasn't lessened.