The One with the blunt interview

"You are still the test captain so you have to attend the press conference", reminded Rohit as they were in conference call.

Virat rolled his eyes, "Oh, I didn't know that-- thanks for reminding me, I am truly blessed to have a friend like you, who is not playing with me", he said not even joking at that point.

"That is a low blow Virat?", Jinks said, trying to keep Virat in check of his behaviour, he understood his turmoil of emotions but he had to keep his calm now.

"Is it? Okay, I am sorry", said Virat, he knew if Jinks said it, then it was.

"You don't mean it", said Rohit knowing him well.

"Of course I don't, let's not go into the deep conversation with it, I am getting late for press conference as a test captain, see you later", Virat said and left from there.

"Kindly, control yourself", Rohit yelled, he was anxious about his answers.

"He is gone", Jinks said, Rohit sighed at that.

"It's gonna go downhill, isn't it?", Rohit asked tiredly.

Jinks knew it, sooner or later, "Yes it is, for now don't worry about it, focus on your rehab, that is more important for you than anything", he said.

"I should have been there, Ajju, I don't know why, something is not right. This whole tour is going to be really difficult and all about this. His captaincy, the results and I am also afraid his performance", Rohit said, observing the whole pattern.

"I know Ro, but we can't do anything. It's better he says the truth. And even if we try to stop him, it is gonna push him away from us and I seriously don't want that as of now", Jinks said, as Virat needed as much support he requires.

"Hmm, I got to go", Rohit said and hanged up the call.

Virat here was trying to be neutral as possible but the questions seems to get on his nerves.

"See, I was always available for selections be it ODIs or anything. And coming to my decision to step down from T20is as captain, it was taken very positively that it is in a right direction. About ODI captaincy, they called me and I just said okay", said Virat, quite bluntly.

Virat was still in the interview when Jinks already saw the outrage, how nothing was good between the board and Virat Kohli.

Virat Kohli sacked over a phone call.

Before he could even compose himself, Rishabh, Jassi, Rah, Ash, were in his room. Seeing their expressions, he knew that they knew and have read everything.

"Did you know?", asked Ash.

"Not until Virat told this morning", answered Jinks as Ash would wanting to know it from Virat. As them, us, they never hid anything, 2013 batch.

"Was he? Was he really..?", Rishabh asked, in a low voice, not able to say that word.

"Sacked? Yes I was really sacked", said Virat from the door, they didn't see him as their backs were facing him.

"Virat, no", Jinks warned him as he didn't want that he would burst out on kids, the frustration was piling up on him.

Jinks noticed a flicker of hurt in his eyes, "Did you? Did you-- seriously think?", said Virat, he would never ever lash out on kids, Rishabh, Jassi and KL-- he would never ever.

Virat just moved out of the room ignoring the voice of Jinks. He didn't look back but went to his room not able to handle his emotions. They were all over the place.

"You shouldn't have-- at least not you" said Ash seeing Virat's reaction.

"I know, I screwed up", Jinks said, feeling dejected seeing Virat's expression of hurt.

Virat who came in his room, sat on the floor not able to think anything. His thoughts were broken by the buzz of his phone in the pocket. He wanted to hang up, but he couldn't, this call, he could never.

"What was that?", he heard a stern voice, it made his stomach twist in guilt. But he was quick enough to compose himself.

"Whatever I said and you heard, I don't think you need any explanation from me", Virat said, instantly regretted saying in that tone, but he did anyways.

He could hear a sigh from the other end.

"Sometimes you have to take a diplomatic route Virat"

"And that is the difference between two individuals Mahi bhai. I cannot do that and you know it, the fact that you called to tell me this, makes me wonder, do you even believe me?", Virat raised his voice with every word, but it was not the voice raising which was worrying, it was the emotion behind it.

"It is not that, Cheeku, I just think it could have been dealt with different way, it was too blunt", Mahi said calmly not getting affected by the yelling of Virat, he was used to it.

"That's not me", said Virat hanging up the call.

Virat didn't know what was it, he just felt miserable and misunderstood by everyone at that moment. He could hardly handle himself. And resulting in snapping at whoever was opposing him.

A couple of deep breaths later, he had pulled himself together enough to put his legs on the sofa and lie down, his back popped up against the cushions.

He stared at the ceiling for a couple of minutes and then realised he had to pack and leave for airport. They were gathered at team hotel in Mumbai.

He could deal with everything later or not.

Now he had to just leave from here with the team. They boarded the bus and Virat saw Jinks seating beside Ash, a wave of guilt passed through his heart. But he just ignored everything and took his seat.

"Was he too blunt?", he thought, "who cares, what's done is done", Virat shrugged, he rested his head on the seat till they reach the airport.

Once they boarded the plane, he saw Jinks there, "I didn't mean it like that", he said.

"I know", before Virat could realise it had already slipped through his mouth, as he knew Jinks would never think about him this way. Anyone would, not Jinks.

"Are we good?", Jinks asked seeing him staring at him.

"Never better", replied Virat shifting to the window seat and Jinks took place beside him.

"I hope you are okay Vi, I am here for you", read Virat, it was Rohit's text. He breathed a sigh of contentment.

Suddenly it was all better, for now.