Chapter 2

One thing Beca absolutely despised about the camp was that stupid trumpet player that woke everyone up each morning. If she could, she would've broke that trumpet into two without a second glance. No, she wasn't getting up. She was going to sleep until the sun was actually up in the sky, when there's no line at the lunch counter and the younger campers are all out of her way. Beca Mitchell was going to go back to bed and no one was going to wake her up.

She was an older camper now, didn't she deserve some time to herself? It was only fair and probably only safe for the future of the world if they let Beca sleep.

She disregarded the door opening and closing, not even bothering to look at the intruder, "Chloe, leave me alone. Go find someone else to bother." The brief flash of light from outside hurt Beca's eyes who rolled over in annoyance. Beca took one of the pillows on the side of her and stuffed it on the sides of her ears, "Chloe if you say one word I will never watch Bridesmaids with you again." Now that was a big threat for her. Chloe, if anything, loved to watch chick flicks and Beca loved to try to wriggle her way out of them. The only one Beca would watch was Bridesmaids because she understood their humor. Beca Mitchell was a serious SNL fan.

"Mitchell, I never knew how much of a morning person you were," the voice teased, coming closer to her. Beca groaned as she tried to melt into the mattress with no such luck. Feeling his warm breath on the side of her neck, her breath hitched. What was he doing? "We're on breakfast duty, get your ass out of bed," he whispered, chuckling as he left.

"Get out of my room, Swanson," Beca said as she chucked a pillow at him, missing by an inch. She would have to get better at that. Grumbling while making her way towards the bathroom, still holding a blanket around her shoulders like a cape, Beca did her best to untangle her rat's nest of hair and brush her teeth without dropping the blanket. She was a genius and a multitasker. She should add those skills to her resume, but she did have to work on her pillow tossing aim.

Still adjusting to the light, she threw high waisted shorts and a camp t-shirt tied in the back before making her way outside. Her hair was tied in a loose braid, strands of hair sticking out here and there. Even though if you saw her you would think she looked pretty normal, on the inside she was sleeping. Beca Mitchell was and never would be a morning person.

Pushing past kids with smiles on their faces and plates in their grubby little hands, Beca opened the door wide open to get into the kitchen. Jesse, serving pancakes, winked at her before returning to his job. Grabbing a pair of tongs, she started to dish out scrambled eggs. Really, the first day? Why were they always picked to be on kitchen duty together? Actually she knew the reason. Since they were the longest attending campers, the director of the camp felt like they knew the ropes more than everyone else. They also knew how to annoy each other more than anyone else.

Before long, her eyes opened wider and her movements were not as sluggish. Her bowl of eggs were almost completely finished and there was still a line of people awaiting their breakfast.

"Hey, Beca, babe, hit me up with some of those," the guy in front of her called, his plate already full enough to feed a small army. She recognized him from her acting class last year, Brad was it? He was one of those people that did one community theater production and they think they're George Clooney. She couldn't stand people like him. Rolling her eyes, Beca replied, "Sorry, Brad. You're too late."

Right when she was about to turn around and return to washing the dishes, he said, "I know how you could repay me. Sneak away with me during the campfire tonight? We'll have a good time."

Beca laughed out loud, causing Brad to recoil in disbelief, "Is that your idea of flirting? Going with you is almost as bad as going with Swanson. Take your food and get out." Even though Jesse gave her a look when he heard his name called out, he let out a chuckle as he saw Brad scurry away, tail between his legs. Good for her. Jesse never liked Brad anyways, always ruining all performances and trying to be the center of attention.

Chloe, walking up to Beca with her plate full of fruit and a cup of cereal, gave Beca a high five before turning into the kitchen to talk with her while the rest of the camp cleared out of the mess hall. "Good job, B," Chloe said, munching on her cereal, "Finally someone gave him what he deserved."

Between chews, Chloe managed to get out, "You know classes are starting today, not tomorrow. They're doing everything early this year. Keener's class."

Beca's eyebrows raised at the name. She had been here for years and that teacher was never mentioned. Must be new. Hopefully he or she wouldn't make them do cardio like last year's teaching assistant, Aubrey had made them do. Even though Beca could now, almost flawlessly, run up and down the amphitheater steps without falling over and breaking her ankle, she still got chills when she thought of that blonde haired dictator.

Jesse had never had to suffer the wrath of Aubrey because all the older guys got placed with Bumper, who was a self proclaimed star even though all he ever really did was order the guys mexican food and buy a hot tub to be placed near the boys' cabins. Jesse had been extra smug that year.

Jesse appeared from behind Beca, walking towards them, "Where's that class again? My schedule said the by the docks but it was never held there before." Great. He was going to be in class with her. After pulling a few strings and putting on her bitchy face, Beca had been able to switch out of classes previous years when Jesse and Beca were in it together. Being around each other was one thing, but competing with each other was another thing. The camp director even understood how hazardous the situation was, even going as far as to change the schedule up herself so they were never placed in a class together. Guess this class slipped her mind.

Beca's eyes narrowed as she watched Jesse savor her reaction, "You are going down, Swanson." He just shrugged his shoulders, rolling up his sleeves to start washing the dishes, "Only if you'll be there."

Beca grumbled before turning and leaving with Chloe before Swanson irritated her too much.