Prologue

Adaline Blake King was born in the early morning of December 25st, 1835, in New York City, New York, the only child of Margaret and Jack King.

On the night of her 16th birthday, after spending the day in the city and with a few friends, Adaline was returning home when a snow storm started, blinding her carriage driver, causing him to lose control and crash it; the force of the crash caused Adaline to fall away from the carriage, hit her head on a rock and fall on a river.

The immersion in the frigid water caused Adaline's body to go into an anoxic reflex, instantly stopping her breathing and slowing her heartbeat. Within 2 minutes, Adaline King's core temperature had dropped to 87 degrees... her heart stopped beating. At 8:55 a bolt of lightning struck the vehicle discharging half a billion volts of electricity and producing 60,000 amperes of current. Its effect was threefold.

First, the charge defibrillated Adaline King's heart.

Second, she was jolted out of her anoxic state causing her to draw her first breath in 2 minutes.

Third, based on Von Lehman's principle of electron compression in deoxyribonucleic acid, which will be discovered in the year 2035, Adaline King will henceforth be immune to the ravages of time... she will never age another day.