underdogs

Spider-Man let out a soft groan as he opened his eyes, mask still covering his face. He was just fighting some criminal scum...and then...Scorpion showed up.

Spider-Man didn't remember a lot of what happened after the fight. His body was sore, though- he had definitely sustained some sort of injuries. But it didn't hurt as much as it would have. Did someone patch him up?

Where was he?

It was a shed of some sort, that's for sure. It was dimly lit and the only thing he could make out was the silhouette of a smaller person. A teenager, maybe?

Spider-Man tried to move, but he was tied up to a chair. The jump rope keeping him in place was enough to discourage fidgeting, but not tight enough to hurt.

He whipped his head around, trying to see exactly what he was dealing with, but there wasn't much he could look at until the lights turned on. A teen, maybe 15 or 16, stood near the door.

"I got some questions." They said, clearly putting on a fake deep voice.

They were wearing one of those Spiderman masks you get from a Halloween store, two holes cut out on the top for their hair to pop out, curly and red like leaves in autumn. On their back was a schoolbag that was definitely worn and hanging on for dear life.

It reminded Spider-Man of his high-school self, in a way.

"What?" He mumbled. This is not what he was expecting. "Who are you?"

This was just a kid. He could probably take them if it came to it.

"U-uh," The teen cleared their throat, "I'm asking the questions here. Where'd you get your powers- no- how'd you get your powers?”

Spider-Man was confused. He furrowed his brows but of course, the teen couldn't see that from under his mask. He thought carefully about how to answer.

"Are you trying to get my powers? They're not a good thing." They weren't necessarily a bad thing either- but anyway.

The teen shrugged and took a few slow steps closer.

"I don't got much of a choice." They paused and took a breath. "I got bit by a spider, a week or so ago. And ever since, I've been able to do these weird things. I can sense things that I can't see. And my hands are...sticky."

These powers of theirs sounded exactly like the ones Spider-Man had.  But it couldn't be. Could it?

Spider-Man shook his head and began to speak but the teen interjected.

"I need your help." They said. They reluctantly took off their mask, messing up their hair a bit.

Just a kid.

"I'm Harper. Harper Alvarez. And...I didn't know what else to do. I needed help, saw you fighting Scorpion, and when he knocked you out I brought you here. Sorry I tied you up." Harper said, nodding toward the chair Spider-Man was tied up to as they said the last part. "I wanted to make sure you didn't escape."

Spider-Man softly chuckled out of surprise. He looked at Harper, not with confusion or annoyance, but with something closer to concern. He almost couldn't believe that a teenager had the same powers as him.

Dangerous powers, that were both a blessing and a curse at the same time. He was worried for the kid- but there was nothing either of them could do about it.

"You're that kid from before- you-...you're like me," he said, more of a confirmation than anything else. Harper nodded slowly. There was an odd sense of comradery between them. Two spiders, from the same web.