FIFTEEN

A/N: happy thursday. also, I'm changing am*r's name. any suggestions? though it doesnt really matter, he's not really in this part. anyways. 

TW: mercedes and dario being painfully awkward, language, 

MERCEDES

April 10th

"WE HAVE ABOUT a half hour until we get there!" Dario announces from behind the wheel. I exhale a breath of relief. We've been in the car for only an hour or so, but it feels like longer. Thankfully, after our pitstop at the gas station, I guess our little party started warming up to each other.

It really only started because Dawn and Nolan were arguing about something that I guess Isaiah knows a lot about, and it became a whole thing. I still don't know what they were talking about, but now the whole car is in one big conversation about overrated actors and actresses.

"I still think he's overrated," Isaiah says loudly, ignoring Dario's time check.

"I don't think he can be overrated if no one knows who he is," Ellie mumbles with a laugh.

"Babe, how do you not know who Jerry Seinfeld is?"

"Is he one of those old white dudes I'm supposed to know?" She asks. I laugh, because she's not wrong. Dawn laughs and sits up to look at Ellie.

"You don't know who he is, but you know who George Clooney is?"
"Who doesn't know who George Clooney is?!" Nolan asks, now directing his argument to Dawn. "He's like, an icon!"

"I don't think I've actually seen anything that he's in," I mutter.

"Not true! He was in Tomorrowland," Ellie tells me. Oh, was he? I don't remember that movie very well, to be honest. It was kind of a fever dream for me.

"And Spy Kids," Dario says quietly with a smile that I can see from the rearview mirror. My eyes widen. George Clooney was in Spy Kids?

"Yall hear about the new Spy Kids they made?" Isaiah announces. I roll my eyes. They need to stop remaking things and find new ideas.

"I think I boycotted it," Dawn says and looks at me with a smile. "Kinda like the new My Little Pony," I let out a groan. I don't think any remake or sequel has ever made me so mad. But My Little Pony; A New Generation? Are you kidding?

"That was awful,"

"It wasn't a bad movie," Ellie mutters. "It was just unnecessary," That's true. I wouldn't know if it was good or not, because I refused to watch it when it came out. Dawn and I made a whole stand against it, it was hilarious.

Just as Dario said, about a half hour later, we arrive in a sandy, almost empty parking lot. The chatter in the car dies down when we realize we've actually reached our first destination.

"We're here," Dario says, leaning to look out of the window. It's not raining anymore, but it's still very overcast and a little bit scary. I can see a bit of the lighthouse from here.

"And here is...?" Dawn frowns.

"Montauk New York," Nolan starts. "It's a part of East Hampton and is home to the 1796 Montauk Lighthouse. The Lighthouse has a museum that contains documents signed by George Washington himself," He reads off of his phone. I can see Ellie lean to read over his shoulder.

"You think your author lady had something to do with George Washington?" Isaiah asks. Dario turns to him and shakes his head.

"Nah, but she had something to do with that." He points to a big sign on the pole in front of us.