chapter two

Capture the flag was the majority of Camp Half-Blood's favorite activity, particularly the residents of Cabin Five. Their day-to-day orders were to calm down, to play nice, to control themselves - not things that came easily to a bunch of campers with adhd, nor a bunch of children of Ares. On capture the flag days people samg a different tune, all caution was thrown haphazardly to the wind and the inhabitants of the Ares cabin could show their strength, their strategy, their prowess.

Not without some boundaries, of course (but most of them could live without dessert privileges for a couple of days).

Maisie Gallagher quite liked capture the flag, and she was exceptionally good at the game. Already was she ready for the activities ahead, hair pulled up into a braided ponytail at the very top of her head and tied off with a pink ribbon, donning her camouflage cargo pants, orange camp shirt sticking out from beneath the red paint speckled celestial bronze breastplate. Instead of sitting herself, her helmet rested on her chair with her blade situated right atop of it.

The Athena cabin had bested them on a technicality during the last round - excessive maiming on Lincoln Turner's behalf - and Maisie simply wouldn't stand for that turnout again. Their mock war board was laid out across an old ping pong table, a few of the Ares campers scattered around it as they pointed and planned and argued.

"We can't run that play again."

"Why not? It worked last time we used it and-"

"Because Annabeth's picked up on it, and you know damn well she's chirping it into Chen's ear so we can't use it today. Little brat." Maisie actually quite liked the daughter of Athena who often hung around Luke Castellan. She was brilliant, wildly blunt, and standoffish with most people - quite honestly Maisie thought she would fair rather well in cabin five. 

Mason Turner scowled at his head counselor, "It's our best plan."

"It's your best plan." Lincoln Turner quipped, "I have way better plans."

(Lincoln Turner absolutely never had even the semblance of an okay plan).

The Turner twins were an interesting duo, to say the very least. Only summer session campers, but they most certainly left an impression memorable enough for when they were away. The bane of one another's existence surely, but Mason and Lincoln were incredible fighters, almost seeming to move as one individual rather than two. They made up for each other's every weak spot, balancing their strengths and faults without intention (it was almost laughable that Lincoln was left handed and Mason right handed, making up one whole person).

"Shut up Lincoln, you're the whole reason we lost last time!"

"No I'm not! If you would've been in the right position, I wouldn't have had to do anything at all!"

"Please! You must wanted to try and show off for your little Hephaestus girlfriend-"

Aggressive temperament was a gift from their father, and while both wore it equally as well, it often proved more detrimental than anything when the twins were left to their own devices. Still, Maisie Gallagher quite enjoyed the duo and their relentless behavior.

"Oh, for fuck's sake. Mason, shut up and stop blaming your brother." Maisie pointed from one boy to the other, "And Lincoln, you know damn well you're why we lost last time. Rules are minimal maiming only."

"Well, no maiming at all, if we're being specific." Mason chipped in, but he shut his mouth when Maisie leveled her eyes at him once more.