Jinx Spinoff, Hope

Context: Before the Jedi Purge, after much guidance from Master Mace Windu, Jinx finally feels like he may have a handle on his grief from losing his previous master. The grief isn't gone, fully, but it doesn't feel as dark and deep as before. Slowly, he starts to look forward to tomorrow instead of doubting that he might make it that long.

He closed his eyes, and barely, just barely, he saw it. He saw himself training under Master Windu's watchful eye, studying Form VII and regaining his confidence. It would be slow work, just like catching up to other Padawans had been, but Jinx would be able to see the progress and every step forward would count. He would be able to let go of Master Gallia one day but still honor her memory. Maybe if he worked hard enough, he would be allowed to continue fighting in the Clone Wars.

Even if he didn't, though, he would be okay. O-Mer and Caleb would be around, and they'd all work toward the trials of Knighthood together. Master Depa and Master Plo Koon would help keep an eye on him as well as their Padawans, just as they had always done. Maybe Ahsoka would even come around every once in a while and Jinx would be able to talk to her. Jinx hadn't seen her since Master Gallia's death, maybe she would be good to talk to.

In the end, everything would be okay. Jinx exhaled and for once, he actually believed it might be possible. He was going to be okay.

His newfound peace was disturbed by his door opening. Jinx cracked an eye open only to see that it was O-Mer. "Ever heard of knocking?" he asked, closing his eye again.

"It's just me," O-Mer groaned, flopping onto Jinx's bunk next to him. He stared up at the ceiling, not even looking at the Twi'lek.

Jinx tried not to laugh. The moment had been rather ruined, but he wasn't angry. After all, that future started right now, didn't it? He uncrossed his legs and let them hang over the side of the bunk. "What is it?"

"Master Plo's going on a mission."

"You don't want to go?"

"No, I did want to go. He won't let me."

He stared at O-Mer. It wasn't like Plo Koon to leave his apprentice behind. "Where is he going?"

"Cato Neimoidia."

"Did he say why you can't come?"

O-Mer sat up, leaning on his arms. "'I fear something sinister is afoot. You must stay here. Perhaps it is nothing, but I will not take that chance,'" he said, deepening his voice to sound like his master's.

Grinning, Jinx shrugged. "I'm sure there's a good reason. Plo Koon wouldn't leave you behind unless he really thought bringing you was a bad idea. Give it time. It'll make sense in the end."

That wasn't the response O-Mer was looking for. "You're supposed to be on my side here. And anyway, what's got you in such a good mood?"

"I don't know, I'm just... hopeful. It just feels like everything's going to work out."

"Since when?"

"Now?"

Rolling his eyes, O-Mer sat up fully, his back against the wall just like Jinx's. "Don't know when you decided to be full of rainbows."

"Will you relax? It's one mission. I'm sure you'll go on the next one," Jinx assured him, laughing just a little. "You're so dramatic sometimes."

In response, O-Mer leaned on Jinx's shoulder, exaggerating and bringing a hand daintly up to his forehead. "This is it! My life is over! I'll never go on a mission again!"

"Oh, shove off!" Jinx said, trying to push O-Mer off of him, but he just fell right back on top of Jinx laughing, which set him off too.

Eventually, Jinx gave up, letting O-Mer rest his head on top of his. "I don't know why I put up with you," he grumbled, trying not to smile.

O-Mer elbowed him. "Hey, we've been in this together way too long for you to get rid of me now. You're stuck with me for the long haul."

"Great," he complained, but he didn't sound very mad about it. O-Mer smirked and relaxed, staying put for a minute longer just to make his point.

In reality, Jinx knew he wouldn't survive without O-Mer. They really were stuck together at this point. He had never tried to imagine his life without the only person who had seen him through everything. Jinx didn't know if he remembered a time before he met O-Mer. It would always be the two of them, always.

And suddenly, one more part of his hopeful future popped into place: him. O-Mer, always at his side, always keeping him sane. O-Mer, laughing as they both did their best to learn the Jedi Way and refusing to let him struggle alone, whether it was Master Gallia's death or the war that was dragging him down that day. O-Mer, who he couldn't live without.

That wasn't it, though. All of this was good, but another idea creeped into his mind, so crazy that there was no way he could ever say it out loud. Behind closed doors, just like they were now, Jinx saw it. The two of them closer to each other than anyone else, maybe closer than the Council would approve of. Maybe closer than they had ever been. Maybe, in secret, one day they'd figure out how to love one another.

As soon as the thought entered his mind, Jinx panicked. Nuh uh, no. That's not allowed. Jedi cannot form attachments.

It was already too late, though. As soon as he saw it in his mind, Jinx realized that it... it sounded good. He wanted to figure something out away from disapproving eyes. He wanted to see if, maybe, their relationship could grow in secret. His mind began to race, wondering. What would Caleb think if he found out? He knew the two of them were close, but what would he say if they took it farther? What would Ahsoka say? She wasn't a Jedi anymore, so she probably knew all about attachments now. Maybe Jinx should ask her for advice the next time he saw her.

"What are you thinking about?"

Shit. Jinx knew there was no way he could answer O-Mer honestly, so he decided on half the truth: "Just... the future. What it might look like."

"Yeah? What does it look like?"

"Well, we'd become Knights eventually," Jinx pointed out, remembering what he had been thinking earlier. Unfortunately, he was distracted by being hyper-aware that O-Mer was still leaning on him. "That's, that's kinda weird to think about, right?"

"Do you think we'll beat Caleb?"

He narrowed his eyes. "Come on, it's not a race."

"I know, but I'm just saying: do you think we'll become Knights first, or will Caleb get there first because he's been here longer?"

"It doesn't matter," Jinx decided, shaking his head. "That's not the point-"

"Yeah, but what do you think? Yes or no?"

Laughing, he realized that O-Mer wouldn't let up without an answer. He might as well give one. "I think he's going to reach Knighthood first."

"I knew it."

"Don't be like that. I'm just saying, he's doing great in his training. He'll be a Jedi Knight in no time."

O-Mer reached a hand out, panning it across an imaginary sky. "Just imagine it: Caleb Dume, youngest Jedi Knight in history."

He didn't know about that, but was cool to imagine. It would probably be easier to see once Caleb got a little taller. Jinx thought for a moment. "Do you think he'll take one of the Younglings as an apprentice?"

"Doesn't he have to be a Knight for a few years before that happens?"

"Skywalker started training Ahsoka almost right away. Caleb could do it too. The Younglings would be old enough by then."

"He'll probably be a great teacher," O-Mer predicted. "I mean, sure, he has to grow up first, but think about it. He already takes care of the Younglings. Imagine him with a Padawan."

"Imagine us with a Padawan," Jinx countered. "Someday we're going to teach little kids."

"Oh, hell, no," he said, shaking his head. "No one wants to see me in charge of a kid."

"Give it time. I'm sure you'll be great."

"In your dreams, Jinx."