Chapter 2

SHADOW

I busted through the wall of the tower easily with a spin attack. Dust from the smashed concrete surrounded me. Eggman yelped from the sudden surprise of my arrival. "Shadow! I wasn't expecting you so soon!" Eggman said frantically.

"Where are they, Eggman?" I asked sternly.

"Who?" He asked. I growled irritably. "Okay! Okay! I'll show you!" He spun around in his chair and pressed a button. A door on my left opened. Two red eyes glowed in the darkness. "E-72. Destroy him." Eggman demanded.

A dragon-like robot slithered out of the darkness. It had red paneling down its back and sharp horns. Its tail was like a large fish hook. Instead of wings on its back, it had two tanks with a flame painted on the sides. It opened its jaws and sprayed blistering hot fire from a nozzle. I spun around the flame and hit the dragon under its jaw instantly jamming it shut. The robot tried to use its fire but the system malfunctioned and it started to shake from the gas not being able to go anywhere. The two gas tanks exploded completely destroying the robot.

I turned to Eggman who looked flabbergasted. Instant fear filled his face. "I uhh- wrong button?" He tried with a nervous smile.

"I'll give you one more chance, Eggman. Where is Iris?" I said.

"Okay. She and Sonic escaped not too long ago. I dunno where they went." Eggman explained quickly.

I crossed my arms,"I don't believe you." Sure I didn't feel Iris's presence in the tower but she would've come to find me if she escaped.

"I-it's true! She went with that blue warthog and his vermin friends." Eggman explained.

My eyes narrowed, "She went with Sonic?"

"Yes! Now will you leave me be?" Eggman snapped. I glared at him and he recoiled from his own hostility. I glanced out of the hole I had made to get into the tower. What was Iris doing? We needed to report back to the humans soon and they'd be unforgivable if she went missing. Either to me or her once I found her. "Actually, Shadow. I think I have a better idea. I know what you're capable of and we seem to have a common enemy." I glanced at him from the corner of my eye, "You help me to defeat Sonic and his gang of misfits and I'll help you track down your sister and reveal some interesting information about you and Iris."

I turned towards him, "What information?"

"Nuh uh uh. Information is as valuable as trust. I have to have your trust first. A promise that you will help me defeat Sonic, and in return, I will help you find Iris and give you information about your past." He had a glint in his eye but his words had caught my interest.

"What do you want to gain my trust?" I asked.

"One of your power-inhibitor rings." He said with an evil smile.

"What?! Never!" I spat. The rings on my wrists and ankles suddenly felt cold and heavy. They had to stay on at all times to restrain my power or I could destroy everything.

"Then no information. I'm sure you'll find Iris if you look hard enough but only I know about your past." Eggman said humbly. I looked down at one of the gold rings on my wrist.

"How do I know I have your trust?" I asked. I had to find Iris before we returned to the humans and that information was indeed valuable if Eggman wasn't lying.