Chapter I.

As I woke up from warmth of the sun hitting my face, I checked the time, realizing that I was a few minutes late to class. " shit, shit, shit, moms gonna be pissed" I got up quickly gathering all my things while trying to change at the same time.

"Good morning big head" I stoped and looked at my door way, and to my surprise it was justice my best friend.  "Jay, what the actual fuck are you doing here, Also I don't have a big head jackass." I finished up and walked over to her.

"I thought I'd stop by and pick you up for school, I knew you were gonna be late as well." She said while walking away laughing like it was the most funniest thing ever. "Maybe I wouldn't have been, if we didn't stay up most of the night at the park." I threw a hoodie her way to put on since it's been cold out recently. 'Yeah yeah' was all I heard grabbing something to eat before heading out the door.

Time had passed and finally made it towards my 5th period class of the day. Justice and Sarah were waiting for me to have a seat next to them. We were in one of my favorite classes which was music. I've always been so fond of music, it was so calming to hear and I really resonated with the sounds created by people. "Jacelynn, can you  give us an example of soprano?" I turn around and looked directly in my teachers eyes, it's been a while since I sang but it was worth a try. "Yes ma'am"

I sang a part from god is a woman by Ariana grande, I couldn't hit the note all the way, so I was disappointed, I was one of the top students in this class and to think that I couldn't hit the note kind of made me upset. I've never been good at other things but being able to share my voice with people made me happy because it was something I was good at, even though I couldn't fully hit the high note. My class mates started clapping, most of them didn't know I could sing. I usually didn't talk much during or even after classes unless I was with my friends, or if I was called on by the teachers like how I just was.

"Thank you so much Jacelynn, you did a wonderful  job, you seemed to know so much about music. I also heard you singing one evening cleaning up after yourself." She paused to look at me before continuing.  "You always do so good on your tests or even answering my questions about the different types of notes. You really amaze me! You just need to work a little more on the high notes by exercising your vocal muscles and you'll be able to succeed in a singing career." She gave me a pat on my back and waited for what I had to say. "Thank you so much, Mrs. Garza." Is all I said before sitting back down.

"You did great out there acey, I'm so proud of you." Sarah said as I sat down. "Thank you mama, I couldn't have done it without you." I turned to her giving her a hug. Sarah was my other best friend, she may look rude and unapproachable but she was the sweetest person you'll ever meet. " I know you're Hispanic an all but if you keep calling me that people are gonna get the wrong idea." She was looking down with a beat red face messing with her fingers. She's the type of person who gets embarrassed easily and I find it cute, but not in the way that I would be with her. " I'm sorry, but I can't help myself when you look like that." I say tossing my arm around her getting her attention, all she did was elbow me on the side.

Time had passed by and school was finally over, I was walking toward the exit when I heard someone call my name. "Jacelynn, may I have a moment with you." I turn to look at who had called me, it was the principal her face gave off a confusing expression, I wasn't sure if she was mad, upset or concerned at me. "Yes, ma'am" I said fallowing her to the office. She opened the door signaling me to enter and have a seat. As she took a seat next to me she put her hand on my shoulder. "Honey, I need you to be here on time, you've been late for the first 2 class in the past 3 weeks. I know you're busy with studies, work and with friends, and that's totally fine. I just need you keep pushing through, because if this keeps up I'm going to have to give you an extra class after school to catch up on things." She was rubbing my shoulder to make me feel better.

"I know mom....I apologize for the inconvenience, I will do my best to stay on time for now on. It feels like ever since finals started I couldn't catch a breath."  My mom has been the principal here for about 3 years now and it's still crazy to me on how time flies by so fast. "Oh honey, if you and your friends need help with studying, I could help you all." She got up putting her arms out for a hug, I gently hugged her back. "I understand, thank you. I'll talk to the girls and see if they wanna have a sleepover for studying." I pulled away from the hug and she gave me nod before giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"I work at 5 and I'll be home around 10:30 or so." I said heading out of the office "okay, just please be careful coming home later on tonight." I nodded and waved her goodbye.