Chapter 11: The Eye

The meeting room smelled of earth and cold soil. Taylin and I cautiously took a seat around the pewter slab that was the meeting table for the ancient Dwarven society. Qaleya eased into the chair across from us, the stone chair scraped across the floor and cut through the silence of the ruins. The lithe Shadow Sentinel leaned back into it casually, placing her shiny black leather boots up onto the slab and crossing her legs as she examined the dagger of mysterious origin in her delicate and dangerous hands.

"So, young meddling children. You've followed me through the ruins, thinking I was up to something. I'd hear your judgments of me." Qaleya asked, her greying eyes made me shiver as she glanced at me through a wispy strand of her white hair.

I could hear Taylin gulp and clear her through beside me, my sister wasn't frightened by Qaleya but she was as intimidated and in awe of her as I was. Everything about her emanated an odd power and authority, the way she moved without making a sound, the way her questions had a double edge to them, the way her voice carried without raising it.

"We have no judgments of you, Sentinel. Nothing negative, anyways. You're as interested in the origins of this plague as we are, and as much as our parents." Taylin answered, propping her elbows up on the table and fixing her eyes on the dagger in Qaleya's spider-like fingers. "If there is some way we can help get to the bottom of this..."

"Now there's an idea. I suppose I promised you some answers. I shall clarify for you what I can." Qaleya said, her voice slightly muffled as she tucked her face into the high collar of her tight uniform.

"First, as to this dagger... I knew there was an artifact that related to this plague. I didn't know exactly what it was, but from the research I had done... Well, that's complicated. I believe that this dagger may contain more information and answers than we realize. My investigation has been going on for a few years now, much like your parents have been doing, I've been asking questions everywhere I go. Though a Shadow Sentinel carries a certain presence of authority, finding answers and access to historical records has proven difficult." Qaleya began turning the elaborate dagger over and over in her hands as though she was expecting it to surrender its knowledge.

"I knew this was a cause worth investigating when I brought my curiosities forth to my superior officers in the Gloomrot. The fact that I was told not to look into this... that assured me that this was indeed a matter worthy of my attention." Qaleya continued.

I shivered at the mention of the Gloomrot, I had dreams of that place and it still frightened me to think about what it might be like. I asked curiously, "Really? Even your officers told you not to investigate? Why? The Shadow Sentinels protect us, not from plagues necessarily, but it seems like knowledge worth having. Especially if the origins of the plague are magical."

"That's correct, Idian. We train our skills in a large ebony fortress. It's an ancient construction, likely older than the Dwarves, but it has served as our home and training grounds for hundreds if not thousands of years, it contains as many secrets as these ruins. There are off-limits rooms, hidden passages, and chambers. I was good at finding them. A certain discovery I had made set me on this path..." Qaleya trailed off, looking contemplative.

I urged her to continue, "What kind of discovery? You mentioned that you suspected corruption in your organization, is it related to that?"

"In a way. I found an old infirmary. Stacked with Dwarven bodies. Perfectly preserved just like those in that vault." She said simply, her eyes locked on mine as though looking to read me like a tome.

"We found something similar! In Tavir Bay!" I exclaimed, remembering what my father had shown me. "Did you tell anyone about it Qaleya?"

"Not anyone I didn't trust. The magic of the Ebon Gate can corrupt even the sharpest minds, and I suspected that there were some among my officers who had succumbed to evil. It's happened before among the Sentinels. I couldn't come forward openly, but fortunately, we are given a lot of leeway in how we pursue our duties. I took my leave and told my leadership that I was going to look for recruits, and although that was a false pretense, perhaps I've found some recruits after all..." Qaleya said, placing the dagger back into the pouch at her hip.