Chapter 5: Shall I Offer My Assistance?

After the battle...

"We took out the monsters in front of us, but there's still more comin'!" Grim says, exhausted.

"You're right. There's too many of them," Briar says.

"Talk about pushy. Sheesh," Cater replies.

"I'm runnin' dangerously low on beans over here!" Grim says.

"Me too," Sereia says.

"Yeah, Grimmy, because you and Sereia keep firing without bothering to aim first!" Cater points out.

"My bad," Briar says, feeling bashful.

Suddenly, someone says, "My, my. Someone sounds like they're in trouble. Shall I offer my assistance?"

And then, beans are fired, hitting the students on the monster team.

One of the monsters hout, "Owww!"

And another yelps, "Beans? They're coming from above?!"

Soon, Jade comes into view, wearing the similar jacket to Cater and Briar.

"Hello there, monsters. And goodbye—you're out," Jade says.

One of the monsters says, "I wasn't expecting someone in magic camo up in the tree branches...but maybe I should've."

"Confound it all!" The second says in defeat

Seeing Jade, Grim says, "You're one of the Octavinelle twins, right? Uh... Which one are you again?"

"It's Jade, Grim," Briar points out.

"Heh, indeed. I'm Jade," Jade says.

Then Cater says, "Thanks for the clutch assist there, Jade! Saved by the 'Vinelle. You know what a dramatic moment like that calls for? Survival selfies!" and takes out his phone.

"Certainly. Cheese," Jade says.

Then Cater takes a selfie of himself, Jade, Briar, and the others.

Once that's done, Jade says, "I see your group also managed to acquire some supply crates."

"Yeah, and Grimmy and Sereia's squandering all the ammo by taking wild pot shots. If we don't find another crate soon, we're gonna run out of beans," Cater says.

"Would your group happen to have room for one more?" Jade akss.

"There's always room for a guy who saved our bacon," Cater says.

"Glad to hear it," Jade says, "All my crate had was a magic camo jacket and bean bags. I didn't get a bean blaster. As you might imagine, I have no desire to face the monster team unarmed. Hence my decision to cower in the treetops. Heh.

"Another guy with something lurking behind his smile..." Briar says to herself in thought with a sheepish smile.

Then Briar says, "Well um, welcome to the team."

"Thank you for having me, Cater. Grim. Briar. Sereia," Jade says.

"Pleasure's all ours, bud!" Cater replies, "By the way, Jade. How come you're not with Azul and your brother, Floyd?

"Beanfest has a rule about that, actually— housewardens and vice housewardens must always be on opposing sides," Jade says, "They want to preserve SOME sense of balance between teams."

"Oh yeah, I remember Trey mentioning that now. Okay, so Azul's on the monster team. Right on," Cater says.

"Floyd drew the farmer team, just as I did, but... He said, and I quote, "I'm not really feelin' it," and promptly made himself scarce. Conversely, Azul has been preparing for this event for QUITE a while. I imagine he'll be pulling out all the stops to hunt us," Jade says.

"Really?" Sereia asks.

"How so?" Briar asks.

"You'll see when you see him," Jade says.

Meanwhile, the monster team...

At Main Street, Jack is searching around, "Hm. Map says there's a monster team supply crate somewhere around here." He then smells something in the air.

And then he lets out a growl, "Grrr... I smell fresh beans. I know you're there, farmers. Get out here and face me like men!"

And soon, Vil is the first to come out, "I have to hand it to you. Your sense of smell never fails to impress."

"Okay, wise guy—" Jack says, but soon realizes who it is, "Ah, I mean... Hello, Vil."

"You went on a supply run alone, without your pack for support? Are you brave, or merely foolhardy?" Vil says, "Come, my compatriots. Let the monster hunt begin."

"Yes, sir!" The two Farmers say.

Jack growls in anger, "Rgh... I'd better bail." and runs off.

Vil crosses his arms in disappointment, "He's a serious contender in this game. We should finish him off before he can arm himself with any weapons." and then commands the other farmers, "After him!"

"Yes, sir!" The two Farmers say and chase after him.