O N E

Lydia raised an eyebrow and bit her lower lip, finding it a great mission to remain composed as the red head opposite her tip toed through the nature strip. The three inch heels she wore were no joke, how Taylor had not ended up in ICU from a fall was beyond the brunette. Finally, Taylor reached Lydia, with a loud dramatic exhale and fanning of her face she held out a dripping bottle of water. The Australian summer ran hot, it reflection against the glass building opposite the two women did no favours to Taylors pale skin and Lydia's once frozen bottle of water.

The brunette slipped her hand free of its gardening glove and took hold of the outstretched bottle, taking sips of it gratefully. The chilled bliss slipped down her throat, giving her a small reprieve from the heat. Taylor rolled her eyes at the moan that slipped from her friends mouth, the sound bordered scandalous and if not for the fact that they currently stood out in the literal weeds, you would've been fooled.

"My hero," Lydia breathed while trying not to take note of the sweat that had accumulated in places only the heavens knew.Taylor cringed while taking back hold of the soil cover container. "Tee, it's just a little salt and H20... this is why I call Ben out, I'm afraid you'll sue the company if those heels received any more abuse."

Lydia squatted back down and tugged on the stubborn roots while Taylor rolls her eyes at the lame joke. Perching herself beside the other woman, Taylor assessed just close her skirt was from touching the soil... she decided it was safe. "He's been sooking all morning about Jacinta, I could not listen to another minute of his whinging," She mocked disgust.

"Hmm... Green doesn't suit you."

Laughing Taylor spread her arms, "babe we are basking in it today... she'll hurt him, besides his worth ethic has reduced by at least forty-seven percent," the noncommittal response too did not suit her best friend.

"Such accuracy for someone who isn't interested." It was time to call it a day, her back was straining and she felt a cramp coming along her calves.

Taylor snapped up straight, brushing non-existent dirt of her thighs. "On to more important matters, your father called. He said it was important and to give him a call back when you've a moment."

"Did he just." Packing up her equipment, Lydia nodded towards the exit. Taylor practically raced through the garden and back out to the front, she followed at a steadier pace. Though she had to give credit where it was due, she has respect for Tee as the woman manoeuvred through without so much as a tilt in her step.

Reaching her Landcruiser she disposed of the equipment into the carrier and then nodded at Taylor as she passed, heading in the general direction of town. Lydia made quick work of removing her overalls, underneath she wore biker shorts and a t-shirt. Then she keyed the ignition and called her father.

His greeting came through the speakers.

"Hey dad." She responded, merging onto the highway.

'It's been a while since you've called me, kiddo.' He scolds.

Lydia laughed because it had been all of twenty-two hours, "I've been busy! Taylor said you had something important to tell me?"

'Yes, I almost forgot. Tonight for dinner we will be having company...' his tone dropped far too many octaves, the words came out mumbled and rushed.

Her father was more a hermit than anything else so she was surprised to hear the man had visitors for dinner, "will this company require me to dress up... because I'm honestly so sore right now." She took the exit.

'It wouldn't hurt,' She imagined the older man shrugging.

With that response she finished the call, "you don't sound convinced and thus I will be arriving in my jeans and boots. Love you, old man. See you around six."