CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Luckily, I have enough brains to grab my denim jacket off the coat rack, where it hangs by the front door, the second I step foot into the house. Not two seconds after I've shrugged it on over my ratty, ripped T-shirt, George appears in the kitchen doorway. He takes one look at me standing in the hallway, sighs, and motions for me to join him in the kitchen. I try not to nervously faff with the hair that blankets the left side of my forehead as I follow after him, for fear that I might accidentally wipe the makeup away to reveal the inky-green skin beneath.

It's pretty accurate to say that George and Stella, who sits restlessly at the kitchen table, aren't very happy with me. I lean against the counter whilst they give me a big (and I'm fairly certain rehearsed) lecture on how important it is that they know where I am at all times.

I sit and listen to their rants, nodding where appropriate and telling them I'm sorry.

They say they know I'm eighteen, and as such should be entitled to more freedom, but they still need me to let them know in advance. Apparently, it's up to me to set an example for the minors of the household.

I tell them I'm sorry again.

They tell me not to let it happen again.

I promise them it won't.

And that's pretty much the end of the conversation as the sound of the front door slamming thunders through the house, accompanied by Bailey's shouting. George sighs and stands up, soon followed by Stella as they walk off to be the Bailey-Karen peacekeepers.

I see my exit and run for it, escaping up to my room before anyone can clock my battered clothes. I get changed into some grey sweats and a maroon knitted jumper, swapping my shoes for some bed socks and collapsing onto my bed with a sigh.

What a night.

My phone pings and I quickly fish it out the pocket of my discarded jeans, leaning back against the pillows as I read the text. It's from Megan.

'Yo!! Are you ignoring me? I'm bored. Let's do something. X'

I roll my eyes at the text and type out a reply.

'Going out with Dylan in a few. Maybe later? X'

'Your boyfriend sucks. I'm better. Come hang with me instead :P x'

'Can't :P Gotta get something for Bailey's birthday. You can come join if you want? X'

'And third wheel on your crappy shopping date?? No thanks, I think I'll pass. Message as soon as you're done and we can go out and grab some food or something, yeah? X'

'Sounds good x'

I take note of the time at the top of my phone and realise I need to start getting ready, not wanting to make a habit of running late each time Dylan comes to the house to pick me up. I grab what I need and head downstairs for a shower, tuning out the shouts coming from the living room as I lock the door behind me.

I should probably warn him to stay in the car when he arrives.

As it turns out, however, it doesn't matter that I forget to warn him. He recognises Karen's car, dropping me a text to let me know when he's outside.

I call out a quick goodbye to Stella and George, hopping on one foot as I shove on my second trainer before heading out the door. I'm surprised to find a car waiting outside for me, my boyfriend sat behind the wheel.

He must've sweet talked his dad into letting him use it for a few hours.

"Good morning, gorgeous," he greets enthusiastically as I drop into the passenger seat. "You look great."