"Look I'm standing!"

"I can see that."

"Do you think I can move?"

"Try it."

"Alright!"

Scott tried to skate toward Wallace but immediately crashed into him, causing the both of them to fall onto the ground.

"Scott!"

"I really thought I had it!"

"...It's fine."

Wallace got back to his feet and helped Scott up.

"Maybe you should help me a little more before I try that again."

"Okay, I told you don't look down at your feet so much, you need to keep your chin up."

"But then how will I know if I'm doing it right?"

"...When you can move without falling."

"You said you wouldn't make fun of me!"

"I'm not." Wallace shrugged.

Scott put his hands on Wallace's waist to try and steady himself as he was led around the border of the rink for the septillionth time.

"You having fun Pilgrim?"

"Mhm! I didn't know learning could be fun.

"You sound like an ABC mouse commercial."

"Hey!" Scott laughed

Just then, the speakers started playing some sort of slow song as they announced that it was time for the couples to dance. Wallace felt Scott hold on tighter.

"We should dance!"

"That's for couples."

"Well, it's not like it's law!"

Wallace laughed as Scott held onto him and tried to slow dance the best he could.

"You really don't know how to do this, do you?"

"Not really, but I'm willing to try!"

"Maybe we should've just gone to prom if we were going to be this corny."

"Don't be such a downer!" Scott said.

Wallace was smiling softly as the music continued, until he noticed Scott looking at a couple for a little too long.

"What's wrong?"

"Sometimes I wish you were a girl." Scott whispered.

...

"...What?"

"Is that weird?"

"No it's just-"

Wallace cleared his throat.

"I just didn't hear you, the music is so loud."

"Forget about it. It was just a random thought."

"..."

"Wallace?"

"Huh?"

"You're spacing out."

"Oh. Sorry. We haven't eaten so I'm just a little off."

"Do you want to go get some food from the place in here?"

"Okay."

Wallace helped Scott out of the rink.
They both sat on the ground, unlacing their skates. Wallace finished first.

"Here," Wallace said as he handed his card to Scott.

"Order us both something. I have to go to the bathroom."

"Okay!"

Wallace smiled sadly as he made his way there.

As soon as he was out of Scott's line of sight he went out of the building and into his car.

Did that actually just happen?

No way, right?

He could feel his eyes starting to water. No. No. He wasn't going to cry over a boy. He wasn't. He wasn't. He-

He was.

Scott had basically confessed without knowing it. And that was the problem. He didn't know he did. And God knows Wallace would never tell him that he liked him. So there's no hope. He wouldn't want Scott to feel pressured either. He just got out of a relationship after all.

"Always an angel, never a god." Wallace mumbled as he wiped his eyes and made his way back into the building.

A/N

🥲