Chapter Two

He was right. His mother was a gracious host, more than happy to have her as a guest as she walked in. She had gone straight into mother mode, giving her a blanket to wear over her short dress and helping her clean the blood from her face.

Cassie sat at the dining room table, mug of hot chocolate in her hands as she watched the woman, Sheila, cook a pot of what looked like spaghetti bolognaise. She felt numb as she swirled the small marshmallows around the top of her hot chocolate.

'I hope you like spag bowl! I've made enough for the three of us! Do you have anyone I can call for you sweetheart?' Sheila came and sat with her as the food cooked, concern on her features. Cassie remained silent, she felt rude but there was no answer to that question that wasn't painful for her.

'Very well, you can stay in our spare room tonight, you can borrow some of my pyjamas tonight, they'll be a bit big, but they'll be more comfortable for you than that dress. I wish I had the figure to wear something like that I tell you!'

Cassie smiled at her forcedly, pulling absently at the hem of her blue dress. 'You really don't have to do that. I don't want to be your problem as well.' Again, she sounded numb, void of emotion.

'Nonsense! It's not everyday my Cameron brings home a pretty girl, you'll stay the night and then Cameron can walk you home in the morning on his way to work.'

'Still fighting it is she?' Cameron walked in at that moment, wearing a pair of sweatpants and a tight black t-shirt that showed his muscles. A towel around his neck and wet hair from the shower he just had. Cassie couldn't deny he was very attractive.

'She is but I'm a stubborn one.' Sheila smiled at her son, asking him to start laying the table for her. They ate together, making small talk around the table, Cameron discussing his day at work. Cassie sat in silence, picking at the food on her plate as she wondered what her life would have been if she had this kind of family. She couldn't remember the last time she had a homecooked meal, her mother spent most of her time drinking wine, watching TV, and eating take out. Not that her mother wasn't a good one, she just lived for herself, and allowed her and Lexi to cater for themselves. Sometimes Cassie wouldn't even eat in a day or two, worrying constantly about her figure. After all that was all, she was good for, the appetite of men.

Not everyone thought that though, so much regret was in her. She had lost her friends, her best friend, Maddie. For a boy who only cared for her if she did what he said, wore what he said, said what he wanted. She'd made a fool of herself in front of the entire school. She blamed herself for everything. She would likely hurt these two as well. She could feel herself spiralling...