Chapter 30: Monte Toro

Date: Saturday 3rd August 2024

Nick’s POV

I wake up to a Charlie-less bed and the sound of someone being sick. Not exactly pleasant, but I quickly piece together what’s happening and get up and go into the ensuite.

I see Charlie crouched beside the toilet being sick, so I go and sit next to him and rub his back. When he stops, he falls back until his head reaches my shoulder and rests there, peacefully.

After a few minutes I ask “Are you doing ok?” to which he just gives me a look which says ‘Are you seriously asking me that question?’ so I assume my answer and continue “Do you want some ginger biscuits?”

“No, I had some a few minutes before I got up but they didn’t work, and I don't fancy throwing up again.”

“Ok. Do you think you’ll be ok today when we go out? We are climbing a mountain remember.”

“I know, and I should be fine. And anyway, if I get tired, there’s always you to carry me up.”

This makes us laugh a little bit. We sit in silence for a few minutes before I ask “Do you feel well enough to move so you can have a shower?”

“Yes, but can you help me?”

“Of course.”

So I help him up and get the shower on, before helping him undress. I then undress as well, and when the shower is at a nice temperature, I help him in before getting in myself.

After our shower, I quickly get dressed, before getting Charlies clothes out for him. I put his T-shirt on first as I know it will make him more comfortable, before putting on his boxers. I then put his shorts on, which just about fit but I can’t do them up. So I take them back off again and go back to the suitcase.

“What are you doing?” he asks, as he hasn’t been paying attention as to what’s going on.

“I cant do up your shorts, as your bump is so big so I'm getting you a maternity pair to see if they’re any better.”

“Oh, I thought I would have a little bit longer.”

“So did I. Are you ok? About this. I know it’s a lot.”

“Yeah, I just don't know how long I’ll be able to hide it for. But hopefully I’ll still make 12 weeks as planned.”

“Yeah, and I’ve been thinking about how we can announce the pregnancy.”

“Yeah? What were you thinking?”

“Well you hit 12 weeks the week of my birthday, on the Saturday morning you have your first baby scan. Most of my family will be coming that afternoon anyway, as well as the Paris squad, so maybe we could try and give your family a reason to come as well and we could do it then?”

“That sounds good, we’re just going to have to be very creative over how we invite my family so they don't catch on.”

“Yes, but we still have a little time to come up with one and I know we will.”

We then finish getting ready, before we go into the kitchen with almost everyone else, and I have some breakfast while Charlie has a cup of tea. I know it’s not great that he hasn’t eaten anything proper this morning, but I know he’s just scared he’ll be sick again so I just leave him to it, and keep an eye out to make sure he eats throughout the rest of the day.

Because we took a while to get ready mum packed us a lunch to have at the top of the mountain, so once we’ve finished eating/drinking we all go out to the cars and drive to the bottom of Monte Toro.

When we get there, we get the bags with lunch out, and myself, mum and Rich end up carrying them. We then begin the climb – even if it is just following a road. The twins race on ahead and David seems to be keen on staying ahead of me. Me and Charlie stay towards the back, so I can make sure he’s ok and we can go at our own pace.

After about 20 minutes of climbing, he looks exhausted, so I get him to sit down and have a drink. I then leave him there for 30 seconds, while bringing my bag to mum so she can give it to someone else so I can carry Charlie. 

When I get back to him, he eagerly climbs onto my back and we (I) start walking again. Up ahead I can see David arguing with mum as she’s trying to get him to carry the bag and he doesn’t seem to willing to do so. As we get closer, he seems to give in, as though he’s worried he’s going to get overtaken by us. Mum and Diane (who are walking together) then start walking again as we reach them.

“Are you ok Charlie?” Diane asks, this is kind of annoying as I don't think he wants to be asked about this but he replies “Yes, just tiered. I didn’t sleep very well last night.”

She then gets back to her original conversation with mum, and leaves us be.

When we get to the top, the twins claim that they have already been there for 10 minutes, which isn’t very unsurprising as we did stop for a while earlier on. Charlie then gets off my back to go to the toilet, so while he’s gone we find a nice spot and lay out the picnic blankets. When he comes back, we have all the food set out and everyone had already started eating, so he comes and sits next to me and starts eating some (a lot) of popcorn.

After lunch, everyone has a look round the top of the mountain for about half an hour, looking at the stunning views before we go back down. 

I carry Charlie down to ensure he doesn’t pass out from exhaustion, and I let mum know that while they go to the beach, we will just stay at the villa.

We drive back to the villa, and everyone collects their beach stuff, while we hide out in our room. Just before they leave, mum comes in to check on us before herding everyone out into the cars. 

Once they had gone, we decided to go in the pool to relax after an exhausting day, so we change into our swim stuff and get into the pool.

After about half an hour, we get out and lie on the sun loungers to dry off before they get back. About 10 minutes before we expect them to be back, we go inside and get dressed before going back to pool side to continue sun bathing.