Pretty Doll

Etta's pov

''And once you've found the answer, you just pop it in the box at the bottom of the page and move on..'' My biology teacher was showing us how to answer the exam papers properly today and although I was listening intently, it was the last period of the day and I was ready to get out of here.

Maud was in English last period but we agreed to meet each other at the school gates and go to our favourite cafe, Steam Dot.

We would go together after school quite often, just sitting with our drinks and ranting about our day, the boys we liked...the man we like....

I hadn't told Maud about what happened the other night, I didn't know how to bring it up.

''Oh yeh, I didn't tell you, I stepped into a random mans car last night. Not to mention the fact that he's one beautiful man and I wish I had glued myself to the car seat so I didn't have to leave and he would sweep me away into the sunset as he grabbed me by the fcae with his veiny looking hands and pulled my face in to-''

RING RING RING

The bell. Well it took me out of my wonderful daydream but at least this meant it was the end of the day. I packed my things up and ran to the front gates to get Maud.

As I was walking up to the gates I could see that Maud was already there, she was standing with Peter. Maud was leaning against the wall next to the gates and Peter was facing her, with his arm leaning against the wall above her.

It was almost like a possessive stamp, like saying 'don't look at her, she's mine'.

This was a strange way for Peter to behave, that's quite a confident thing to do. He was usually very reserved. From what I could see, he didn't seem to care that all these teenage schoolchildren were around him, watching him.

''Peter'' I said, greeting him as I got to the gates.

''Hello there, Etta'' he smiled, he was a brutally nice boy. A very clean collard boy.

''I won't keep her back any longer I was just saying goodbye...goodbye darling'' as he said that he looked straight into Maud's eyes and kissed her softly on the lips''

He walked away and I was left with a lovesick Maud.

''Come on then, you make me feel sick, barf'' I pretended to gag.

''Did you just see that? Did that actually just happen? He called me darling. I'm his darling. I am Peter Bennett's darling!!!'' Maud says as she walks beside me, eyes shot open, mouth hanging to the floor.

''Seems like he really likes you, Maud''

''Ugh I just can't believe it, I've liked him for so long and I-''

I cut her off, ''Hey woah! Save the ranting for Steam Dot'' I giggle.

''Ah yes, of course'' she links her arm around mine and we go jollying off to the cafe.

There must be about 15 different cafes on this long and winding street, and we always chose Steam Dots. I don't think I've ever been in any other one properly.

Maud and I bound in and take our usual seats, lucky for us they were usually unoccupied. These were definitely the best seats in the house.

You could see the whole cafe; the sand coloured walls that were covered with pretty paintings in fancy frames, the corner that sat the bookshelf where people could pick up something to read, you could see every table with its polka dotted tablecloth  and porcelain teacups.

This place was holy. The owners knew us well enough by now to know what we ordered, so as soon as they see us they know to stick the kettle on.

We sat with our drinks and snacks and Maud is all but too ready to start talking about Peter again.