EIGHT

Jess was woken by her phone signalling a text message early the following morning.

            “Hi Wife! Had a great time last night.

            I’ll pick you up at eleven tomorrow, lunch

            out of town?”

Obviously no signature was necessary, and whilst this wasn’t really a question she also knew he wouldn’t accept a no.

But she sent one anyway.

            “No!”

Within moments the reply came, “No? I thought you agreed to our deal?”

At the speed of light she entered a response.

            “You said you wanted to win me over. This is steamrollering. If this is your best you can do you may as well give up now. Think you need to look the word ‘woo’ up in the dictionary!”

An almost immediate reply came heavily dosed with sarcasm “To seek the favour, affection, or love of, especially with a view to marriage. Hmmmm...think I did this a few years ago...I think you should look up rekindle...‘to excite, stir up, or rouse anew’...and if that means creating some anger...then so be it. I’ll call for you at 11 am I hope you’re ready.”

With a sigh, she rolled over and buried her head under a pillow! All the previous evening he hadn’t referred to their relationship, their marriage, or the deal he’d brokered, it had been without an agenda but today it seemed that it was all change, and she now realised that the previous night was all about smoothing the waters, getting past her defences. And like a lamb to the slaughter, she’d fallen for it hook, line and sinker!

There was very little on in the cinema, so after grocery shopping and cleaning her home top to bottom, she arranged to meet Eve at a wine bar in town. They planned to have an early supper, trawl a few bars, then head home at not too late an hour.

They settled on Thai and ate as Jess filled Evelyn in on the previous night.

            “It sounds like he’s keen. How do you feel about him?”

Jess shrugged, she hadn’t really let herself think about it, but at Eve’s question she had to analyse it, “every now and again it’s like a switch, we flick back to as we were as kids, we get on, he’s charming...but then I remember all that happened then. He’s co cocky, so sure...then I want to hurt him.” It was exhaustingly confusing and the fatigue was opening her up, showing Alex every weak spot she had.

            “And that animosity, that banter is what is making this more than it could be! If you didn’t care Jess you’d tell him where to get off. I think you have to ask yourself the question why you’re letting him get away with treating you like this. Why you’re playing ball.” Eve smiled at her sympathetically, “life isn’t easy love, but there’s a reason why you still care about Alex, a reason why you haven’t just told him to piss off. And I think that is the answer to your quandary.”

Jess was silent in contemplation. So Evelyn added, “You’re my friend and I’ll always think of you more highly than you can ever realise, but maybe you need to stop avoiding the past and have it all out. You may find that you can salvage something from this and be happy again.”

Shaking her head dramatically, Jess laid down her chopsticks. “All I want is my divorce Eve that is the only reason I’m doing this!” She was determined, firm in her words but there wasn’t as much conviction in her voice as she’d hoped.