How it all began

Gojo Estate
Tokyo
26 August, 4:08 pm

“Gojo san.” A woman bent down on her knees, paying her respects to the man before her. Tall and imposing, eyes blue as sapphire and hair white as snow, he was the definition of a cold beauty as his lips were pressed into a thin line, “Another one of our establishments in Kyoto has been besieged.”
Although the sentence was spoken calmly, the tremor in her voice did not go unnoticed. The people around them, however, had their heads lowered- no one was supposed to lift it up without the permission of the Gojo clan’s heir. No one-

“Satoruuu!”

Well, except for one-

“Satoru.”

…two people.

“You are dismissed.” His voice came off as imperturbable, while the woman scrambled off to her feet, leaving the room instantly as if she would freeze to death if she stayed there any second longer. The two voices that had spoken up had now entered the room- a man dressed in a traditional Japanese Kimono and a woman in a doctor’s suit. With a flick of his finger, Gojo dismissed all the people surrounding the room promptly.

“Now, what was this about?” Shoko looked at him raising her brows, confused as every other person left the place.

“Shokooooo, Suguruuuuu!” The cold exterior was dropped down in an instant, as he approached his two friends, whining.

“Now that's the Satoru we know.” Geto smiled softly, “Your acting is always top-notch.”

“UGH, I am so tired of these annoying people. Every day there is some new bullshit, and they keep on reporting about it to me like letting me know would magically make everything all right.”

“Didn’t that lady tell you about your business being shut down? Should you be really this calm?” Shoko sighed, taking out her cigarette and lighter.

“It’ll be fine,” A slow smile made Gojo’s way, “I am the strongest after all.”

“And that’s the 3rd business failing this week.” Shoko muttered, exhaling the smoke that danced around the room, “You should be more careful about this stuff Satoru, you might be strong, but you are not invincible.”

“Ugh, gross.” Gojo made a face at the stale odor now surrounding them, “You should really cut down on them, you know?”

Shoko just shrugged.

“But don’t you worry!” Gojo winked at both of them,”I have already put my men to task and have researched about them.”

“I heard,” Geto now said, “A new Inspector has been appointed. Quite meticulous and honest in her job,” This got Gojo’s attention as he turned to Geto who continued, “You should pay her a visit along with some gifts too and let her know how things work around here.” The implication in Geto’s tone was enough, making Gojo smile.

“Yes, a woman inspector, haha.” Gojo chuckled, “I just need to be there and smile, and she’ll be down on her knees for me in no time.”

“Whatever you say…” Geto shook his head.

***

Kyoto Prefectural Police Station
8th June, 2018
11:35 am

To Utahime, getting a promotion was her year-end goal this time. From an Inspector to Chief Inspector, her dream was not that far away, yet not close enough. Mornings went to boring inspection, and evenings were spent in her home as she drank away her tiredness. It was the same old boring routine everyday, until her colleague, the now Chief Inspector of the Kyoto precinct, Atsuya Kusakabe, offered her this case.