Chapter One - Maya

Maya

Murder was easy but it could lessen the pain and vanish the fun so the boy's skin burned and salt was rubbed on his wounds. The sound of his scream was inaudible while I sat inside the car. The view was horrendous but if someone looked around snatching their eyes away from the boy it would look as if they were enjoying a carnival.

Their faces were so innocent as though the world had been so naive with them. Their hands were filled with sin, one held an iron rod, the others held an iron and the other had a bottle of salt in their hand. In front of them was the boy who was almost lifeless after the last blow of the rod. His school uniform was drenched in blood but his wounds were so cleverly done that they could be hidden very easily.

My eyesight was sharp. People said it was a blessing. But if they ever saw what I was witnessing right now, it would be nothing but a curse. I took a deep breath. The traffic was awful today. If the car did not stop on my way home I would not have to see such a scene. Then again, I am so used to this.

On the second floor of the school, the floor-to-ceiling window of the classroom was open halfway. I could not hear the boy. His lips mumbled and his classmates looked at each other for a moment. Did he say something? I could swear that I saw the devil in them. One of them walked towards the stove where water was getting boiled and beside it were a few Ramen packets.

The boy held the boiling water pot and instead of pouring the water down the sink, he carried it in front of the boy who had fear in his bloodshot eyes. The other one closed the window and I immediately looked away. Even though the scream was muffled it sparked a bit of annoyance in the face of a few passengers in the car beside mine. I noticed that too.

Nobody noticed the boy in the school building.

The traffic was free and the car started moving. I took a deep breath and rested my head on the seat. The day was bad. Truly.

Before I realized it, we were home. The driver opened the door as I stepped out. I walked inside the house more like the hellhole made of cement by my father's money mountain. I went inside as quickly as I could because even though it had been three years since we moved to this mansion, the massive fountain on the opposite side of the garden still made me nervous.

The garden was made according to my father's choice and the fountain was there for no reason. I still remember falling into the deep water. I brushed away the thoughts and just made my way inside as the doors opened. Alice, with a big smile plastered on her face, welcomed me.

"Welcome dear," She said warmly and stepped aside taking my bag. "I prepared a cold bath for you." She said,

I nodded and went to my room. Without wasting any time I discarded the clothes and went to take a bath. The sound of ice on the tub soothed my mind. After a while, I came out. Walking inside the wardrobe, I took the dress Alice put out for me. Putting away the exaggerated pink and white dress aside I took a white hoodie and black pants.

I sighed sitting on my table taking out my notes and flashcards. I was about to start studying when a knock on the door interrupted me. "Yes," My voice rasped.

Alice came in with a tray of banana juice and fruits. "Look what you've done to your voice by not talking at school." She placed the tray on the table. "Eat before you start studying. You just came back from school."

I quietly took a piece of Apple as I knew she would leave if I started eating. She left. I cleared my throat. She was right. Not talking for a whole day made me forget I had a voice. I shook my head and started shuffling through my class notes.

Once again, another knock came in. I tightly shut my eyes. Annoyance. "Yes," I said.

Zoya, the total annoying nutcase or the second housekeeper came in. Her sly smile annoyed me even more. "Mr. Ali has called you in his study." She said,

Baba? Why would he call me out of nowhere, especially in the afternoon, when he is specifically careless of me? I looked at her. "Why is he home?"

A few words from me lightened her face. "I-I am not quite sure." Her answer sounded like a question. I nodded and dismissed her. Annoyingly I put the notes in my bag and shoved the flashcard in my pocket as I headed for his study.

Why does he want to talk to me? If I can count, he has spoken to me three times this month. All of those were in front of the public. Now in private? Will he finally kill me or something?

I set aside my intrusive thoughts and with a clear mind, I knocked on the door. Nothing bad would happen and that was what I kept in my head.

Like always, soundlessly I opened the door to see him standing in front of the massive window which blessed the view of the garden. His back faced me as his hands were behind him. I closed the door and stood still without a word.

Like always, he felt my presence and tilted his head slightly in the back. I still could not realize how he did it. He fully turned and looked at me.

His eyes, the same color as mine, dark- almost obsidian and his hair darker than his shadow and his soul. For a moment, he looked at me as if I had committed a genocide then slowly sat on his chair. He knew that I hated to make eye contact with him so as soon as he sat, he instilled his eyes on mine. Like always.

"How are you doing in school?" His deep voice sounded in the room.

I grabbed the file I took with me and gave it to him. It was the certificate of a math championship in which I was given first place. He looked at the certificate for five seconds and placed it away.

He nodded. "Good," He brushed his nose. "Mr. Barren has organized an event for his son's birthday. That is tonight." He said and turned his full attention to me. "Be ready."

I looked at him and nodded. When he realized he was not getting any response from me, releasing a deep breath he signaled me out. I took my leave.

Coming out, I took a deep breath. So it was just a party. He was not playing death riddles telling me to defend myself from his powerful blows or giving me a lecture on power. He simply told me to be ready.

I went to my room. Just a small meeting like that should not get my knees weak but it did. I plopped on my bed and closed my eyes. I have to bear interacting with those greedy, awfully witless insignificant humans once again. I survived all of that until now, so I will be fine.

It was almost as if time sped up but Alice found a ridiculous-looking dress for me which reached further down my knees but looked modest. Before I knew it, I was in the car with my father trying to survive through a deafening silence.

This was deadly. Almost boring yet something which ticked my nervous system off. Somehow I got through the car ride while he was busy looking outside the window as if turning his attention to me was a crime.

We got off. The mansion was the same as I remembered. Gray walls, massive doors, and a jungle in the name of a garden. The path was between the jungle and Baba was in front of me with his hands behind his back.

I sighed. The mansion in front of us was glowing. Lights surrounded to illuminate the entrance and the fountain was bigger than ours.

Mr. Barren was standing at the entrance where a few guests were present. The garden was designed in a way that could be used as an event hall. I sat on one of the tables as Baba left to speak with Mr. Barren.

The sky was starry tonight. The wind was soft as it blew on my dress. I hate these events. People love to pack on random corners and gobble on their million-dollar wines with their 2-cent of mind. I observed everyone at the party. Their smiles were so fake that it looked like they were mocking the person in front.

I had a reason for looking down at them. It was because I knew who they were or what they could be.

I looked down and took out my flashcard that I sneaked in. I needed to memorize some vocabulary. Before I could start focusing, a weird smell reached my nose. The type of smell that hit me when someone was getting bullied in the class or most probably the smell of blood. The smell was close and it was getting stronger. The feeling was terrible. Cold sweat broke on my palms and forehead.

Before I could look back, someone's breath was on my nape and I felt soft hair touching my back. I gripped my flashcard and turned with speed attempting to hit the person behind me. Oh well, it cannot go so well.

---