Notes from the Author:

Heya there! Thank you so much for reading my first novella and I hope at the very least, it entertained and provided the escapism you so craved, dear reader.

Sycorax's origin was inspired for more context for readers from Fools, these Mortals. I wanted to provide more flesh to Sycorax that in Fools that I couldn't fit in originally.

From the few lines in William Shakespeare's The Tempest of the nature of her character, there was plenty of room for the imagination. Along with the character Setebos mentioned by Caliban in Act 1, Scene 2 (where Prospero summons Caliban to fetch firewood).

Caliban (aside): I must obey. His art is of such power, it would control my dam's god, Setebos, and make a vassal of him.

Little snippets such as this, provided so much inspiration in how to retell these plays into a new way. Moreover, I have also watched countless times the RSC's version of the fabulous play, with Prospero played by Simon Russell Beale, Ariel played by Mark Quartley and Caliban by Joe Dixon. An amazing and talented production and as always, left me wanting more from Shakespeare. Especially in regards to the relationship dynamics of the characters. I had always wondered how a scene would play out between Sycorax and Prospero, if they were in the same space. As I always do with the rest of the canon being denied the opportunity in their separate plays.

I also wanted to acknowledge and thank the writer of the dissertation/paper found in my research.

Extremes of Gender and Power: Sycorax's Absence in Shakespeare's The Tempest - by Brittney Blystone, Northern Kentucky University. (Hopefully I've credited them correctly) The paper was a wonderful and an in-depth read that if any need more study on The Tempest, I'd highly recommend. For a character not physically present on the stage, Sycorax continues to dominate my imagination.

Next in the saga for you, my dear reader:

Exile from Light – Part One

I've never had more fun writing a scene than in its opening chapter.

About the Author –

T. S. Lynwood lives in Yorkshire England, battling the mundane and reality's distractions. Whilst thinking of "what ifs", and learning the art of storytelling, trying to find a quiet patch to write is the most challenging quest ever undertaken.

Instagram: tory_lynwood_