eleven

The doors opened to the VIP lounge, where you had agreed to meet Jeno after your meeting with your boss. It was almost two weeks after you'd returned from what NingNing was now definitely referring to as your 'romantic getaway,' which you couldn't argue. Most of those two weeks was spent by you finalizing your second article, not wanting to tell Ms. Zhang about how that trip had really gone until after you had work to show for it.

Jeno was waiting for you, already standing up and pacing the small room nervously. He seemed more worried about this than you were, despite it really being your career on the line and not his.

You made a beeline to wrap your arms around his torso, burying your face in his chest, and he immediately reciprocated it, holding you closely and pecking the crown of your head.

"Hey, how'd it go?" His gentle tone of voice betrayed his assumptions that it was bad.

Bringing your face out of his chest in order to look up at him, you squealed, "She's still going to publish them!"

"Ah!" He cried out, tightening his grip on you until it was practically bone-crushing. "I knew it! I knew you were just so good she would have to publish your articles."

You elaborated, practically buzzing with excitement, "Because I kept out the uh, more private details of the trip and focused on you and the trip itself, she says that it ties up the loose end from the first one nicely. Although, she did recommend not going public until after the second article was out."

"But you won't get fired if we don't abide by that recommendation, right?"

"No, I won't," you reassured him, happiness fluttering in your chest as he pecked your forehead.

"I'm so proud of you, Y/N."

"Mhm," you hummed, letting him peck your lips too before you spoke up. "I do think she's right, though, we should wait a while to go out in public as a couple."

Jeno clearly didn't like that idea, sighing in reply, "Why?"

"It's been less than a month, what if you decide you don't like me?"

It was meant to be a joke, but he took it seriously, kissing your forehead, then your nose, then finally your mouth, "Impossible."

After a moment, he relented, "Alright. I waited two months, another one or so shouldn't be that bad."

"Actually, she's publishing the second article in a special edition that'll come out two weeks after the first, not a month."

"I can wait three weeks."

And wait three weeks he did. Three weeks exactly. Twenty-one days after your conversation in the VIP lounge, two days after your second article hit the shelves, Jeno picked you up for your first public date. This time, you let him come up and get you—your roommate wasn't home to bother you—and he left his hat and face mask at home.

"Hi Jeno," you greeted him as you opened the door.

"Hi, baby," he replied, wasting no time in lacing your fingers together as you walked to the elevator.

As soon as you stepped foot out of your apartment building, whatever resolve he had broke down, and he smooched your cheek loudly. You giggled at the gesture, squeezing his hand to let him know that you were okay with it. After all, you'd made the poor guy wait longer than he should have, some PDA was in order.