' lovestruck .

I took in a big gasp of air, and fought the tears that began to pour over my eyes.

"Y/n, Y/l/n!" The mayor spoke clearly into the microphone. It rang through my head dozens of times... the sound of my name being called.

There was no way that I'd been chosen as the tribute... I was only nineteen. It wasn't fair. I snapped my head up as he repeated my name again.

The uneasy feeling that I'd felt once before had grown in size by three times. I felt sick, but tried my hardest to fight it.

I felt a tight grasp around my wrist, most likely one of a bodyguard. My expectations hadn't been exceeded to say the least. I tried my hardest to shake my arm out of his grip, but to no avail.

"Please... I can't leave my family," I whispered harshly to the guard. He meerly glanced down at me before dragging me to the front.

As I fought, I could only notice the sound of peoples snickering. It was the worst part of the whole ordeal.

I screamed, "How can any of you act this sick!?"

Doing so did nothing but make my throat hoarse, and make the crowds chuckling intensify.

I grunted as I felt my body get hurdled onto the floor of the stage. It hurt like hell, but I wasn't going to go down without a message.

I leaned my head up as far as I could, and the first thing to come into view was Peetah Mellark. My best friend.

"You can't take my past... you can't take my history.." I sung, as I lifted myself off of the floor.

"You could take my pa, but his names a mystery.." I continued, dusting myself off.

I walked right up to the microphone, almost shoving the Mayor to the side.

I took a pause, glancing over the crowd. "Nothing you can take from me was ever worth keeping." I sang out the final words.

I looked directly into the camera as I came to a stop.

I wanted to finish, but I was cut off by the Mayor pushing me aside. He was ready to get paid so he could spoil that entitled daughter of his.

"And for our next tribute..." He said, reaching into his pocket and grabbing a thin piece of paper. It took him a second to unfold it... he was clearly stupid.

I rubbed my head, and squinted my eyes. My vision was having trouble adjusting after such a fall.

He finally quit stumbing with the paper and opened it up. "Joseph Herring," he cheered.

Everybody was silent. Joseph was sickly, and to make things worse, he was only twelve. As if my heart wasn't deep enough, it sunk further into my stomach.

The only sounds able to be heard were Josephs pleads and cries.

After a few moments of the heartbreaking noise, a familiar voice shouted, "I volunteer as Tribute!" He didn't. He couldn't have.

"Peetah!" I shouted before having my mouth covered by a guard. His eyes shot directly towards me. He nodded once with this fake... half smile spread across his face.

I felt my eyes begin to sting once more. The thought of him dying flashed through my mind several times. It was unbearable.

The rest was a blur, it was like I had blacked out.

*
~Coriolanus' point of view !

What an odd sight. This lady, unlike the rest, hadn't cried... or even gotten violent. She'd just sang; quite a simple but meaningful demeanor.

Something about her though, I couldn't look away. Maybe it was her beauty.

... Or maybe her bravery. The way she could just sing away in such a situation. It intrigued me.

I bit the inside of my cheek and kept my gaze fixated on the young woman who was on the screen.

"Pshhh, what a psycho," The girl next to me whispered after nudging my shoulder. I nodded, not really paying attention to her petty comment.

I'd never found interest in the girl next to me. She was loud and attention-seeking. I'd never found interest in any girl, honestly.

To be fair, I wasn't necessarily interested in my mentoree. I was simply fixated on her odd personality.

I tried my best to tell myself that, anyways.

"And that concludes our selection of tributes for the tenth annual Hunger games!" The television spokesman said, with a weirdly cheerful tone.

The familiar tune of the Hunger Games played before the TV shut off.

Highbottom cleared his throat, in attempts to get our attention.

Poor guy, he was too short to even get a few students to acknowledge his existence.

I looked around briefly before returning my eyes to him. He grumbled, "It might help to know that you have the ability to bring your tribute items to help them win... too bad none of you dumbasses want to listen."

And with that, he walked right out. "Good to know..." I mumbled to myself. I wasn't yet sure what I would be giving her.

"What's good to know?" The annoying voice next to me asked. "Nothing, Clemensia," I said, gritting my teeth together as I spoke.

Something about Clemensia, she always knew how to be agitate me. She loved showing off all of her fucking daddies money all the time.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes, then whipped her head the other way. The moment that her hair hit my face... it was the closest I'd ever gotten to hitting a woman.

....

AUTHORS NOTE!: i tried to show off corio's narcissistic side a little at the end, but he's still extremely rideable guys... idk what to do :(