Sanity Assassin

TW: Mild gore and period typical internalised homophobia

When you woke up the next day, you could hear a strange scratching noise. Since the house was so silent, even a little sound travelled a long way. It sounded like one short scratch followed by two longer ones, again and again. It continued as you got dressed and went to have breakfast, but as you were getting prepared to start work on your next batch of pantings- namely, the ones in the dining room- it stopped.
"How peculiar..." you muttered to yourself. You had no time to stand around listening to strange noises, however, as there was work to be done. You headed over to a portrait before you, a large painting of Lady Erina. She was wearing a huge pale blue rococo dress in the painting, but as you took the picture out of the frame, you saw something odd. Next to the artist's signature was a date- 1770. That just couldn't be right! Lady Erina must've been around the same age as Lord Jonathan, yet here she was depicted in a painting that was over 100 years old!
What on Earth is going on here?! You thought to yourself. Last night had reassured you that Erina was definitely real, and not a hallucination or a ghost, but this just made the whole affair even more puzzling. Who on earth could this lady be?

A door banged open, and Robert shambled in. After last night's petting you had absolutely no idea what to make of him, but the way he looked today was the worst he'd been yet. Hi skin had turned grey and his hair had gone lank, hanging down his head in clumps. His fingers were seized up like claws, only held in place by the weird metal gloves he was wearing. They looked like they were designed to restrain the fingers, as if they were tiny cages. The bandages around his neck were visibly bloodstained, and the poor thing's fingernails had gone black.
"Are you restoring the Master yet?" He asked, eyes hazy and unfocused.
"The Master?"
"Master Jonathan!" He cried, pointing to the huge painting over the fireplace. "My Master is all dusty, and the spiders will come soon. But oh, how I love them."
Robert wandered past you, walking in that odd, looping manner, and stared up at the painting.
"Oh? What's this? A gift!"
He turned to you, eyes rolled back in his head. In his hands was a spiderweb, complete with spider and still-living flies.

"Robert, what are you doing?" You grimaced as he nuzzled his face into the handful of cobwebs.
"Delicious, master, delicious." The servant giggled. And then he did the unthinkable- he took the spider from the web, crushed it in his fingers, and swallowed it.
"That's disgusting!" You gasped. Robert just grinned, and pulled the flies from the web. He put them in his mouth too, his metal hand braces creaking as he did so.
"Delicious... They bring life..." he muttered. You shivered with revulsion at the sight of Robert eating flies as if they were sherbet lemons, and your face creased with disgust.
"You need help, Robert! Can't you see that you're sick!" You cried. He looked up at you, suddenly silent.
"Sick? No, I'm not sick. I'm perfectly well! I shall always be well when I know that my master loves me." And on that note, Robert pressed his hands together as if he was praying. He walked forwards, looking up at the painting, but stepped into a sunbeam from the uncovered window you were using for light as he did so.

The effect was instant. Robert jerked back and screeched, his skin blistering and burning where the sun had touched it. You could audibly hear it sizzling, like a joint of beef fresh from the oven.
"The sun! The sun! Oh, curse the sun!" He howled, grabbing at his hair. You gasped as several locks of his hair pulled loose, the bases of them sticky with congealed blood. As Robert yanked the hair loose you saw a few small things clatter to the ground. They looked like beads- but upon closer inspection, they were his fingernails. They were just falling off of his flesh as he raved hysterically about the sun, and you backed away from him as he did so. The man was absolutely insane at this point, and you were fearing for your wellbeing.
"Master! It's happening! Oh, master, my mortal life is soon to be gone!" The manservant howled. He coughed and spat up two small white objects, smeared with blood, before jumping onto his hands and toes, cricking his spine, and scuttling off. You looked down at the white objects, and you almost vomited when you saw what they were.
They were Robert's canine teeth.