Chapter 19: Connecting the dots

A little while has passed since Jabu and Sbu had a man to man talk concerning the dilema they find themselves in. It seems that chat did help ease tensions between them as they are now calling and texting to check on each other. There's obviously still that lingering issue of paternity they have to deal with.
But as far as Tsepo and Sbu's friendship is concerned, things haven't been that great, since Tsepo found out about Sbu making a move on his girl. In fact, they haven't spoken since, let alone meeting. Sbu has in vain been trying to contact Tsepo who's been doing everything possible to avoid him. So today he's decided to come see Tsepo at his house unannounced, perhaps he may learn why his friend has been avoiding him. He can't think of anything that could have led to this, so figures there could be something wrong.
"Thanks for letting me in man. Even though I showed up unannounced" Sbu says, giving a half, nervous smile as he sits in the couch opposites Tsepo's. He's been getting used to walk without a cane the past few days and can now manage to drive on his own.
"Look, I haven't been able to reach you lately and you haven't been returning my texts or calls so I thought something could be wrong with you since I haven't seen you in quite a while. What's going on with you, bro?" Sbu asks as he looks at his friend in the eyes to try and read him. At hearing that Tsepo doesn't seem to know how to answer his friend or at least he doesn't know where to begin as
he looks at him without saying a word. "Look man," Sbu continues. "You know you can talk to me, right? What's going on with you? Why have been so distant? Why are you not returning my calls? That's unlike you man?" he's now beginning to be curious as he can read that clearly something is up with his buddy.
"Look man, I'm alright okay?" Tsepo says as he avoids eye contact. "Is it Grace?" Sbu jumps in. "Are you guys okay? I didn't see her here. Are you guys fighting? Trouble in paradise? hahaha" as he makes a joke that doesn't seem to hit right with Tsepo who gives him a very serious look.
"Yes it's about Grace actually" Tsepo shouts as his friend. "It's about Grace and how who made a move on her one night and then continued pretending to be my friend afterwards, Sbu" as he looks very upset. "What kind of a friend are you man? So you cheat on your wife with her best friend and then go on to make a move on your best friend's woman? I mean seriously, how do you call yourself a man, at all? Where's your dignity?" he asks as he stands up to walk up and down the lounge. He's now really upset over this. Sbu can't believe this has come back to bite him. He sits there not knowing what to say to his friend. He has no defense at all as he watches Tsepo coming to sit down opposite him, looking at him in the eyes. He looks away.
"Look man I'm really sorry about..." Sbu says as he tries to make eye contact but he's cut off by his angry friend, Tsepo who shouts, "F*ck that Sbu, alright? F*ck that" as he looks at him back. "What are you sorry about? Huh? Shouldn't you have apologized that day you kissed my girl?" as he stands up again.
"So you really had to get between me and Grace, since your marriage was on the rocks? You had to destroy the trust Grace and I worked so hard to build? Because now she had to keep this from me since she didn't want to get between me and you? She risked our relationship to protect my friendship with you? But how has any of that helped since I now know?" as he starts to walk up and down the room once again. "You are really something else Ndimande, I give you that. You have

incredible ability to mess things up with those who care for you. How do I even begin to trust you again?" as he tones down a little bit but Sbu pulls away from eye contact.
"Look, there's no excuse for what I did man" Sbu says with a low voice. "I messed up big time. I was vulnerable and Grace happened to be there as a very familiar face that night and I don't know what..." he says but doesn't finish as Tsepo goes for the door and opens it before saying, "Please leave" with a low and disappointed voice. To that, Sbu stands up and walks towards Tsepo who's
looking down trying to void eye contact with him. Before he walks out, he turns around and seeing that his friend is still looking down. He wants to say something but he knows there's nothing he can
say now that can undo what just happened. He slowly turns around and walks out the door.
***

At Lindy Hotel, Lerato has come to see Lindiwe who has since moved into the penthouse of her hotel after she had asked Bheki for a divorce. Time is moving so fast and it feels just like yesterday when she married Bheki in a very glamourous event. These days she's trying to figure out how to live as a single woman again. The rumours of the divorce have certainly caught the attention of the media and gossip magazines since the couple is well known in business circles. On the other hand, both have no delusions about how messy divorce settlement will be but Lindiwe had thought about all that well before asking Bheki about it. There is no turning back now.
"Friend are you sure this is really what you want? There's nothing else to fight for anymore?" Lerato asks a visibly worn out Lindiwe who sits on the couch opposite hers in the lounge of this big and beautifully decorated penthouse. They have a bottle of wine with them which is half way through already.
"My friend, I'm done with Bheki. I really am" Lindiwe says with low and sad voice. "I know I cheated on him with Tsego and I never should have done that. There's no excuse for it but he'd been sleeping with women long before this new chick showed up. He'd been doing that for a long time but he was very subtle about it. But after he found out about my affair with Tsego it gave him an excuse to sleep around openly, knowing I'd never complain about it. This marriage had been long dead my friend" as she becomes visibly sad. "There was no longer trust between us. We hardly shared the bed anymore because every time I came back from work late he'd assume i was with a man and vicar versa" she takes a sip.
"How does Bheki feel about this?" Lerato asks as she takes a sip herself. "Well, of course he doesn't want this divorce." Lindiwe says seemingly annoyed. "He has even threatened that it will get messy and he won't just let me walk away clean. And I know he's the one who leaked it to the press" as she frowns.
"Hahaha, oh come friend. Why would Bheki do that? What advantage is that to him?" Lerato laughs as she takes another sip. "Well who else would have told the media about it because it wasn't me?" Lindiwe says as she shrugs her shoulders to which Lerato throws her hands in the air as if to say Well, I don't know about that. "Friend, I just want this to be quick so that I can focus on my business." Lindiwe continues, "But now, the media is all over this thing. I can't move around without being asked about it, it is so annoying gosh..." she raises her voice as she pours and finishes whatever was left of the bottle. She then goes to the cupboard and takes out another bottle, much to her friend's shock.
"You better have a room for me here in this beautiful penthouse my friend because it looks like we are going to get drunk, hahaha" Lerato laughs loud as she opens the new bottle. "Oh yeah friend, don't worry about it, there's plenty of rooms here" Lindiwe says with a smile.

But as they both lift their glasses to toast they are interrupted by a knock on the door. They both look at each other wondering. "Did you expect anyone this afternoon?" Lerato asks curiously but Lindiwe shakes her head as she goes to open the door. Seeing Buhle standing there was not something she really expected. For a moment they both stood there just looking at each other. Both their eyes tell a lot. It is difficult to tell what these ladies think of each other but from Buhle's eyes there seems to be joy, sadness and disappointment all at the same time. On Lindiwe's eyes there seems to be joy of seeing an old friend, sadness and regret over what has happened between them.
"Uhmm, I'm sorry for just showing up like this announced" Buhle says nervously as both ladies snap out of the nostalgic moment. "Oh no, no no...uhmm I'm sorry please come in" Lindiwe says with a nervous smile, not knowing how to react to this. She really wants to hug her friend but understands it's too soon.
Buhle comes in as she follows Lindiwe but she really didn't expect to see Lerato there as well. "Oh uhmm, I'm sorry I didn't realize you had company. Am I interrupting?" she asks with a nervous smile. "Oh don't be silly Buhle, you are not interrupting anything" Lerato says with a nervous smile herself. "It's just us, your girls, remember?" as she looks at Lindiwe who just smiles, not knowing what to say.
This certainly brings a very awkward moment in the room since it's the first time they are together in the room since that day at Buhle's house a few months ago when she chased them out. But also this very moment is bringing memories of the times they have been hanging together as friends.
"Uhmm, so how are you?'' Lerato asks Buhle with a low voice as she breaks the moment. "Uhmm,
I've been better, thank you. I have had better days but yeah I'm okay" Buhle says as she comes to sit down on the other couch. "Almost forgot how beautiful a place you got here Lindi" as she looks around the walls.
"Uhmm thank you. It's my new home henceforth so you are probably going to see it a lot" Lindiwe says with a nervous smile. She then goes to the kitchen and comes back with a glass, "Well, I'd ask you if you'd like a glass of wine but I figured I'm not really giving you a choice, hahaha" she laughs to which all three laugh at the joke. "How's Naledi?" Lerato asks as she takes a sip of her glass. "Uhmm, she is okay thank you" Buhle says with a smile. " She's with Sbu this weekend so I had a little bit of free time" as she looks away but that suddenly brings a little bit of awkward moment as Lindiwe starts to feel guilty all over again. But it doesn't seem like that was Buhle's intentions.
"But uhmm, I just came to check on you since I heard about your divorce on the news" she says as she looks embarrassed at even saying this. "Uhmm, yeah I'm okay. I'm getting used to the idea that I soon will no longer be Mrs. Khuzwayo but Miss Zungu" Lindiwe says with a nervous half smile to which her friends look sad for her.
"Maybe I will join you on that venture very soon myself, from Mrs to Miss, hahaha" Buhle says as she laughs loud to break the ice, much to her friends' shock. They really didn't expect that from her.
Could the wine already be at work in her? "Oh no friend are you serious?" Lerato asks in shock which makes Buhle realize that maybe that wasn't such a good joke after all. "Uhmm, guys I didn't expect you to react to that so seriously, hahaha" she says as she bursts out laughing again which comes as some sort of a relief from her friends who look at each other and think, the wine is indeed working.
"Look guys" Buhle continues, "Sbu is the last thing I really want to think about, okay?" as she begins to be a little sad. "Just like you Lindi, I'm just getting used to my new place and taking each day as it comes. I haven't really thought about what I really want to do just yet" as she takes a huge sip of her glass.
"Do you think there's still a chance between you and Sbu?" Lindiwe asks with a low voice, hoping to not trigger her friend. "Uhmm, I haven't really thought about that Lindi" Buhle says as she finishes

whatever was left of her glass. "Waiting to see who the father of Katlego's baby is, first?" Lerato asks nervously, also not wanting the trigger her. This question suddenly brings that moment of awkwardness and tension in the room. "Look I don't know if it's that or what" Buhle says calmly.
"Maybe it is that. Maybe I am hoping that the baby isn't Sbu's, for whatever reason. Whether that gives us another chance, I don't know. It's too soon to tell." as she looks down avoiding eye contact.
"Speaking of which," she continues. "How is Katlego anyways?" she asks her friends who are clearly caught off guard by that question as they look at each other. This is the last thing they expected to hear from her. Seeing that reaction from her friends Buhle continues, "Look I will never get over what she did to me" she says as her voice becomes sad a little bit. "I don't think I can ever forgive her for what she did. Every time I think about it, it almost sends me into complete depression. But having said that, I still want to know how she's doing with the pregnancy and stuff, I don't know why
that is" as she looks down to avoid eye contact with her friends. For some reason she seems very
embarrassed by this.
"Uhmm we get you friend, okay?" Lerato says as she looks at Lindiwe as if she's looking for her to confirm that. "I haven't spoken to Katli since the day after you found out about...you know. The last time I heard she was going to leave Durban for good" she says much to Buhle's surprise as she raises an eyebrow and asks, "Uhmm what about the paternity? How will the DNA test be done if she's no longer here in Durban?" she's curious about this. "Uhmm, I'm really not sure friend" Lerato says with a low voice. "She probably communicated all that with Jabu and... Sbu" she says nervously knowing how this must feel for Buhle.
After that they decide another bottle is urgently needed. They then start drinking the night away while talking about what's been happening in their individual lives. Since Buhle has no one to go back home to she decides she will also sleep over here at Lindiwe's place.
***
Somewhere else Tendai has come to see his friend Bheki after he had heard on the news that he was going through divorce. These two have known each other for a very long time and have always been there for each other when going through something.
"So man, are you sure about this?" Tendai asks his friend with a low voice as he sits opposite him on the couch. "No man" Bheki responds angrily. "No, I'm not sure about it. I didn't ask for divorce, she did. And if she thinks I will make things easy for her on this one, she has another thing coming" as he takes a huge sip on his whisky. "What do you mean?" Tendai asks curiously as he sees his friend's face changes. "Look bro," Bheki says as he sighs deeply, "I'm not just going to make it easy from this woman. She wanted this divorce so she must deal with the consequences of it. If she thinks she'll get half my wealth over this, she must forget it" as he takes a huge sip of his glass.
"But bro, aren't you happy that you guys are divorcing?" Tendai jumps in. "I mean, at least now you can sleep around openly and not sneak into hotels like before, hahaha" as he bursts out laughing which doesn't seem to please his friend.
"This is not funny man" Bheki responds annoyed. "Yes I fool around from time to time but it doesn't mean I want to divorce Lindiwe. I love her. Besides, that model chick I once told you about, she's ignoring my calls now. So I can't give up my marriage for b*tches who are just looking for thrills" as he pours himself another double. "Alright man, I hear you. So let me ask you a serious question, " Tendai says as his face changes to being a little bit serious. "So, this divorce of yours, won't affect our business partnership, right?" as he looks at his friend in the eyes. "What do you mean?" Bheki asks as he looks at him back.

"I mean, your wife won't end up divulging our business to the media when she becomes disgruntled over divorce settlement, right? Because you know, I can't afford that. We can't afford that" Tendai says as he takes a sip without showing any emotions at all.
"Oh come on man, of course Lindiwe won't divulge anything to anyone, relax about that" Bheki says nervously as he looks away. "Good" Tendai says. "I just needed to be sure of that" trying to read his friend. "Okay enough about me" Bheki jumps in quickly. "So what's your deal with Ndimande's wife?" as he smiles at his friend who doesn't look all that impressed by the joke. "That's not really funny man," Tendai says as he looks away as if he's trying to think about it. "We are in touch. As you know, she lived here for a while after leaving her husband but then went to find her own place so that she could be with her daughter. But man, I really don't want to talk about her right now, okay?" he says with a sad voice but Bheki cuts him off, "Do you love her or not?" as he asks. But this seems to make Tendai a little uncomfortable as he makes eye contact with his friend.
"Look man," he says. "I love Buhle, okay? And she loves me. We have this amazing chemistry and we seem to make each other happy and fulfilled every time we are together, but..." he looks up as if he's trying to find words. "We have people in our lives" he continues. "I mean, I have Sharon and my daughter right now and she is dealing with her marriage. Us, is not something we both want to focus on right now" as he pours himself a stiff.
"Alright man" Bheki says with a low voice. "Does this mean you are hoping for those two to divorce or you are still planning on killing Ndimande" as he takes huge sip of his whiskey. But this question seems to make Tendai snap out of something, "Oh yeah I almost forgot" he says as he raises his voice a little bit.
"I now know what my guy has been up to and why he turned down the contract on Ndimande" he says as his face changes to being upset but this is making Bheki curious as he raises his eyebrow
without saying a word. "He's been seeing this chick who happens to be your wife's friend" he says looking at Bheki in the eyes. "He turned out a job for a f*cking woman, can you believe that?" Tendai says as he raises his voice once again. "Wait, who's that? Katlego or Lerato?" Bheki asks curiously.
"Look I don't know her name but i know she's your wife's friend. And if this guy has divulged any information to his girlfriend, so help me God" Tendai says as he downs whatever was left on his glass.
This statement seems to bring discomfort to Bheki who is wondering about it as he asks, "What do you mean by that Tendai?" looking at him. "Look I told you that I can't afford to be caught up in controversy, quiet frankly neither can you" Tendai says angrily. "So if this woman manages to get some kind of information from my guy, what do you will happen to you and I?" as he looks at his friend back.
"Calm down Tendai for Christ’s sake, will you?" Bheki says as he raises his voice. But Tendai isn't letting go as he jumps in, "No I won't calm down okay? Neither should you" he says angrily. "If this woman manages to extract certain information from my guy, how long do you think it will take before she and your wife talk about it? And what will your wife tell her? Don't forget that she knows a lot, okay?" as he stands up and starts walking up and down the room. "Look man, I think you are blowing things out of proportion okay?" Bheki says as he tries to calm his nervous friend down. "Who is this guy anyway? You have never told me his name and I have never seen his face" This seems to fuel things up as Tendai gives his friend a very nasty look.
"Look, I'm saying to you, I cannot afford to be embroiled in any controversy right now" he says looking at Bheki. "Don't you worry about who my guy is, alright? He has been seeing a woman who happen to be your wife's best friend. Those two may end up talking about my business dealings or do you forget that your wife suspects you for her shooting? If her friend ends up figuring out who

killed that journalist who happened to be your wife's boyfriend, what do you think will happen?" as he comes back to sit down.
"Listen here Tendai" Bheki jumps in. "Whatever you do, don't dare touch my wife okay?" he says angrily with a nervous look. "Oh you mean, your soon to be ex-wife, right?" Tendai sarcastically says looking at his friend, Bheki who doesn't seem to like that as he says, "I said don't you touch my wife Tendai, you hear me? She's got nothing to do with this, alright? Deal with your guy and leave my wife alone" his voice is trembling a little bit and he looks wrecked. At that, Tendai stands up and says, "I will handle this my way okay, like I always do. So just sit there and enjoy the security I provide you" before turning around and walk out the door, leaving his friend lost for words as he sits on the couch.
***

Somewhere else Katlego who has moved to Cape town away from her friends is at the doctor for a scan. She's been here in the Western Cape for a little while now and her tummy is now showing and growing nicely. She also seems to have adapted to the new environment quite nicely.
"Well it looks like your baby is healthy miss Tlabi and from the medical records that your doctor in Durban sent us there's really nothing to worry about" Doctor Thabang Ralani says as he takes off her gloves and wash his hands in the sink. "Thank you doctor; I really appreciate it a lot for seeing me"
Katlego says as she sits on the bed in this very cold consultation room. "You are welcome. Oh and I
see that you are also a doctor" Thabang says as he writes something on the file. "Oh yeah I am" Katlego says nervously as she looks away as if she's embarrassed. "Oh, where are you placed?" Thabang asks curiously which makes Katlego thinks for a second before saying, "Uhmm, I will be working here in this hospital actually" as she smiles nervously.
"Oh, that's great" Thabang says as he smiles back at her. "Yeah I was transferred here but for now I'm on leave as you can see" Katlego says as she brushes her tummy before smiling. For some reason
she is finding this conversation a little awkward for her liking.
"Oh yeah I see. So you didn't come with the father of the baby? Or he's busy?" Thabang says as he continues to write something on the file. But this conversation is taking a turn that Katlego doesn't like and she's struggling to find words to respond to the doctor, but she says, "Uhmm, that's a very long story that I wouldn't like to get into if you don't mind" with a half-smile avoiding eye contact.
"Oh it's okay" Thabang says politely. "Well, doctor I will see you next month for your next appointment, okay? So let me allow to get dressed. Goodbye" as he leaves the consultation room and allow Katlego to get dressed.
***

Somewhere else Grace and Lumka are having lunch and catching up to some of the stuff they've been doing lately. For Grace it has been a really emotionally challenging time the past few weeks ever since Tsepo found out about what his friend Sbu did. They eventually spoke about it but it really hasn't been the same for the couple.
As for Lumka, she's also going through a rough patch herself ever since she ended things with Bheki. She really enjoyed his company and loved the treat he gave her but she was tired of being treated like some kind of a booty call. So ever since that night at the New York hotel, she had decided to take a break on the love scene.

"So friend, what's up with you and rich boy?" Lumka asks with a smirk on her face as she sips on her red dry wine. Grace just looks at her and smiles as she ignores the question. "Oh come on, just tell me" Lumka persists and Grace can't help it but smiles as she says, "Look nothing is going on okay? We are just... not the same as before. Ever since Tsepo found out about what Sbu did, things haven't been the same" as she takes a sip herself. But when she sees that Lumka is about to make a nasty comment she cuts her off before she could, "Aah, don't say it okay?" she says. "Don't say I told you so okay? I hate that thing" as she looks away but Lumka shrugs her shoulders as if to say, oh well, but I did tell you.
"Enough about me" Grace continues. "What's going on with you, sexy super model" as she winks at her friend and smiles. "Well, nothing much my friend I'm just taking time off from this love scene you know" Lumka says as she takes another sip which makes Grace curious as she raises an eyebrow. "No friend nothing happened, I just need to focus on myself right now" Lumka continues. "I realized that I have wasted so much time running around with men, mostly married and powerful men that I have neglected building myself and secure my own future. Now I just want to make as much money as possible while I still can and then start my own business" as she looks at the menu.
"But friend you need love okay?" Grace says with a low voice. "You don't want to die alone, do you?" as she looks at her friend with eyes of worry but Lumka cuts her off, "Oh come on friend, do you have to be that dramatic?" she says. "I'm not going to die alone. I just need to take my time with this. Me first and everything else after" she says as she lifts her hand to call the waiter who comes immediately to take their order.