Boredom - Chapter 3 -

The slow march of time in the science class seemed to drag on indefinitely. I was desperate to find a distraction from the upcoming ordeal of interacting with my classmates.

Let me lay out the classroom for you, viewers.

The class I sit in for science is frustrating, more like the people than the class actually. We have the tables in an odd 'C' shape with a smaller 'C' inside of it. It's quite a weird classroom, but our science teacher hates changing the classroom because she thinks it's unnecessary and time-consuming. In my opinion though, if I got to go to another place then it would be so much better. I'd finally get a little bit of a change, and maybe I wouldn't have to sit next to such idiots.

Meet my classmates. Stupid as hell, dumber than a pencil, and more ignorant than their fathers'. I've got two boys that sit next to me.

On my left sits Adam Black. Generally, he's fine. The only thing that bothers me about him is how much he bumps his arm into my shoulder every single lesson. My textbook just looks like doctor's handwriting whenever he hits me whilst I'm writing. He doesn't have any disability or anything of my sorts, he's just got a horrible habit that I'd even call an addiction at some points.

On my right, Trevor Springfield, the self-proclaimed 'class clown.' He's one of the most annoying boys in my science class, and there's too much to say about him. He basically considers himself a really funny person even though he's literally not funny at all. His mates always laugh at his jokes but it's always some racist or sexist crap. He had a knack for targeting people, though not to the extent of outright bullying. I have been criticised by him before, but he usually gives up when he realises you don't give a hell.

I was sitting in my seat, waiting for class to start, my fingers tapping rhythmically on the tabletop in a futile attempt to find solace in distraction. Trevor was already in, trying to muck about with all of the boys. His grating voice filled the room every couple seconds and it was really starting to piss me off. I resisted the urge to voice my irritation; I didn't want his gang turning their attention towards me.

Adam comes in the room, wiping dust onto his shirt. Our teacher, Mrs Smith, goes on her computer and pulls up the register.

"Okay, I'll be doing the register now. Please get to your seats and take out your things."

Silence engulfed the room as I waited for my name to be called. Mrs Smith's voice melded into background noise as she methodically read the names. As my turn approached, I realized I hadn't been paying attention.

"Avery?"

"Present!"

"Jacob?"

"Present miss."

"Ashley?"

I didn't hear my name, and I didn't make a noise.

"Ashley? Are you here?"

My name hung in the air, but my mind was elsewhere. Panic seized me as Mrs. Smith repeated my name.

Caught off guard, I stammered, "Uhm, sorry! P-Present!"

I quietly laughed to myself out of nervousness, and put my head against the table in embarrassment.

Mrs. Smith continued with the lesson, oblivious to my momentary lapse in attention. The hum of the lights filled the room as she droned on about some stupid chemical reactions, but my mind drifted elsewhere.

I glanced around the classroom, taking in the familiar sights and sounds. The dull beige walls seemed to close in on me, suffocating me with their monotony. Outside the window, I could see the branches of a tree swaying gently in the breeze, a stark contrast to the stifling atmosphere inside.

I had been looking outside these windows for months now. I've failed most of my science tests, but they're mostly because science is just not my thing.

Suddenly, Adam nudged me with his elbow, bringing me back to reality. "Hey, are you okay?" he whispered, concern evident in his voice.

I nodded, offering him a weak smile. "Yeah, just tired," I murmured, hoping he wouldn't press further.

I was slightly confused because he normally didn't do those kind of things. I guess his parents finally gave him a lecture.

As Mrs. Smith moved around the room, checking on students' progress, Trevor took the opportunity to slip a piece of paper onto my desk. He stared at me with a smile, one that I couldn't tell if it was a sinister or a friendly one. I unfolded it discreetly, expecting some juvenile prank or crude joke. Instead, my eyes widened in surprise as I read the message scrawled in Trevor's messy handwriting.

"Meet me behind the school after class - I really need to talk to you."

Confusion swirled in my mind as I tried to make sense of Trevor's sudden seriousness. What could he possibly want to discuss that couldn't wait until later? And why me?

I glanced up to see Trevor staring intently at me, his expression unreadable. With a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, I nodded in response to his message, silently dreading what awaited me after the final bell rang.