I pulled out my phone, hands trembling and sweat collecting in their pads. Kenzie and I had a rule, if one of us calls and invites the other to go to the zoo and see the giraffes, then it means there's danger and we should seek safety. Years ago I'd built a bunker under the house for emergencies, she would know to hide there and wait for me.

I was ready to press call when I heard the slightest floorboard groan behind me.

The figure didn't escape.

They never left the apartment.

I pretended to take the call, holding the phone up to my ear while casually turning around, eyes fixed to the ugly burnt orange shag carpet. I expected to see feet. My other hand was placed in my pocket, on the handle of my gun.

But there was nothing there. Was it my imagination? Was somebody moving upstairs? Was the building just settl--

A hard thrust flew into my stomach before pounding me across the face. I watched a line of my blood fly from my mouth and spatter on the wall.

But there was nothing there.

I put one arm in front of my face and pulled my gun out with the other. The floor pounded, carpet depressing in places. I watched invisible footfalls land and rise, moving around the room.

I followed where I imagined the body to be with my muzzle of my gun. I would need to get a center mass shot, minimize my risk of shooting into a neighbor's apartment and leave a bigger mess than I found.

My patience didn't pay off. An invisible foot kicked at my gun, sending the piece flying onto the bed. Then there were several blows to my face, the pain and shock melting together until I couldn't keep track of the rolling punches.

I fell to the ground and rolled into the flurry of fists, taking shots with my back and side. They were hard punches, each threatening to push the air from my lungs. But I got a hold of the figure's leg. It started kicking me with the other until I grabbed that one too and wrestled the body to the ground.

It was prone under my weight for a moment, so I pulled at the blanket on the bed. The gun fell off right where I could reach it , but more importantly, the blanket gave the figure a shape.

I picked up my gun and pointed it at the figure's head.

"Stop moving!" I shouted.

The blanket moved around the figure's invisible face, giving shape to every contour. I watched it grin beneath me.

Then, it fell straight through the floor.