28

IT HURTS TO BE SOMETHING
IT'S WORSE TO BE NOTHING WITH YOU

(Promise - Laufey)

His mother's sudden appearance caught me off guard, and I tried to compose myself, despite the awkwardness of the situation.

"I.. I was just making sure Joseph got home okay," I stammered, my eyes briefly meeting Descamps', who seemed oblivious to his mother's arrival as he looked to be fast asleep.

"How considerate," she said, her tone sharp, and with that, I quickly exited the room and closed the door behind me.

I stepped out into the dimly lit hallway. Descamps' mother followed, her disapproving gaze lingering on me.

"Katherine, right?" she asked, her tone not as welcoming as her words might suggest.

"Yes, that's me. Joseph's mother, Suzanne?" I replied, trying to maintain a semblance of composure.

"Right. I've heard about you," she continued, her eyes narrowing. "Your mother and I go way back. I don't want any trouble for Joseph, so don't come near him or this house again, understood?"

I felt a surge of defensiveness as I was taken aback by her sudden hostility. "I'm not here to cause trouble, Ma'am. I'm just-"

She crossed her arms, her expression skeptical as she interrupted me "My son doesn't need any distractions. He has a future ahead of him, and I won't let you jeopardize it. Haven't you done enough?"

The tension in the air thickened as we locked eyes, neither willing to back down.

"Done enough?! I don't know what you have against me, but I couldn't just leave him on the streets, who knows what could have happened to him!" I raised my voice laced with frustration.

Suzanne scoffed, her arms still crossed. "What could have happened to him? Marie's daughter caring about my son? Unbelievable. You two should have never crossed paths again. It's a recipe for disaster."

Suzanne's eyes narrowed as I took in her words, her disapproval turning into a glare. "You're just like her, always meddling, causing chaos. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.."

My frustration reached its peak as Suzanne's words pierced through me. I took a moment to collect myself, steadying my voice before responding.

"I'm not my mother, who is an amazing woman by the way." I asserted, my tone firm. "I cannot change the past, but I won't let you condemn me. I helped Joseph tonight because he needed it, not to taunt you. As a matter of fact, I did not even know you knew my mother."

Suzanne's glare persisted, and her words carried a weight of skepticism. "Helping him or not, your presence in his life is a disruption. Marie brought nothing but trouble, and I won't stand by and watch history repeat itself."

"Maybe it's best if I leave," I declared, my voice tinged with a mix of defiance and weariness. I turned towards the door, ready to exit the hostile atmosphere that had enveloped the room.

Suzanne's gaze remained unyielding "That might be for the best," she retorted, her tone not softening.

Without another word, I opened the door and stepped into the cool night air, the weight of the encounter still heavy on my shoulders.

As I walked through the quiet streets, I couldn't stop thinking about why Suzanne, Joseph's mom, had such a strong dislike for my mom.

What happened between them? And why was I, just because I'm my mom's daughter, getting treated this way?