Chapter 1

If anyone ever tells you that war is worth it in the end, turn around and run in the other direction. Believe me, I know firsthand that war is not in fact worth it. Wow, shocking, I know.

Actually, I'd go as far as to say that war only makes everything worse for everyone.

Especially the side that doesn't win.

I sighed and stared up at the ceiling of my bedroom. My eye twitched slightly in frustration. Today was the reaping for the tenth annual Hunger Games.

Yay.

If people weren't so goddamn stupid, then I wouldn't have to worry about possibly dying in two days, give or take. From what I hear, life before the war sucked, but I can guarantee that it's no match for what us kids go through once a year now.

I let out an irritated sigh and threw myself out of bed. At least I had an excuse to dress up for it I guess. That was the only thing I didn't really mind. I liked looking pretty. Or at least trying to.

Then again, maybe that wasn't the best since these were the clothes we'd be fighting to death in assuming we get chosen.

My older cousin, Kyla, walked into the room. She'd just turned nineteen a few weeks ago, so she was safe and sound. I'd grown up with her around my whole life, so she was essentially just my sister.

"Excited for the reaping?" She asked sarcastically.

"Fuck off." I said back monotonously, sounding bored and unbothered. I really loved Kyla, and I would do anything for her.

"Come on, Coley. Don't let Aunt Juni hear you say that." Kyla chuckled jokingly. I didn't find it funny.

"Shouldn't you be working or something? Be out contributing to society in some way instead of bothering your cousin who could be on death row right now?" I asked coldly.

"Now don't be so pessimistic, Colette. It would be a privilege to see the Capitol." She said in a posh voice.

God, does she always have to be this annoying? I thought to myself exasperatedly.

I didn't respond, only sifted through our shared closet for something to wear.

"You're little boyfriend stopped by today." Kyla said absentmindedly. "The Kenton kid." She added.

I hated when she said that. I never wanted to get married to a guy, especially not him. He was like my brother.

"You mean Brooke? Brooke Kentwell?" It always appalled me how easily she forgot his name. It wasn't exactly hard to remember.

"Yeah, that kid." She nodded.

"Well, what did he say?" I asked expectantly.

"I don't remember. He's your friend." She shrugged.

I groaned and rolled my eyes. "You are so useless." I muttered. I continued moving the clothes we had in the closet around.

I pulled out a cream colored blouse that appeared it would be a bit too big on me. I couldn't for the life of me find a skirt, and I actually tried. I eventually settled on a pair of dark gray pants and a black belt.

The top stopped just above the middle of my thighs. I put the belt on over it, fastening it around the dip of my waist. I rolled up the sleeves before I decided that was good enough.

I exited the room and did a small spin for Kyla. She pursed her lips at me. "You need to tie up your hair." She decided.

"No." I replied instinctively.