Chapter 1 - Celebration

"Raymond Smith," said as the TV called out.

A tall, rosy cheeked man wobbled out on stage graciously accepting his prize. I knew that man. He was my friends boyfriend and now he's our state senator. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Abruptly, something broke the silence. The small break of calmess ended with a loud bing. Beatrice. I accepted the call and congratulated her alongside her companion.

"Congrats!" I say with a croking voice.

"Aw, thanks, but i only have minute spare. We're going out for drinks tonight, please come-"

"Sure, I'll be there."

♡ ♡ ♡

It was cold and gloomy, unusual for a city, as i stood there outside the bar. The small sparks erupted from the sign as cheers and waves peeped through the crowd. I clutched my chest as I propelled forward with my heart thumping loud. The door squeaked as I opened it.

"Jack!" A wide-eyed woman exclaimed.

Beatrice. I loved her. She was like a sister to me. She was a calm and collected girl who swore that's she would never date a man in government officials, which she swiftly broke after attending a dinner party with Ray.

"Hi, congrats!" I respond as she wobbles toward me. "You're such a lightweight."

She's doesn't say anything her face says it all. My eyes swoop as i notice Ray standing in a corner hands crossed with his foot pressed up against the wall, chugging a large glass of prosecco. His eyes lock with mine as he drags his feet towards me.

"Oi, oi, oi! He shouts, reaking of alcohol. "Jack, right?"

"Fuck you, you've known me for years."

"No need to be hostile, after all you wouldn't want to ,make a scene with your new senator." He says as his goggling eyes reach mine.

He's correct, I'm smarter than that.

Raymond Smith was an unusually attractive man. You would  either have the hots for him or you would call him alien walking down the street. In simple terms, he was an older Timothee Chalamet.

"Heugh--"

A loud plopping noise was followed by a distinct smell.

"Ew, what the fuck, Bea!"

A small pile of green and yellow muck lay on the bloodied concrete floor as Beatrice hunched over as if she had severe scoliosis.

"Shit, Beatrice, babes, are you alright?" Ray says with little to no concern.

I look at her. I look at the bottle. And I look back to her. I let out the biggest loudest sigh ever known to history of mankind.

"Let's go home now." Saying as if I'm talking to a child.

♡♡♡

She was quiet. I mean she downed a month's worth of vodka in one sitting so, expectedly, she was.
I took her home as I thought to myself to pick up those hooligans at the party.

The ride was peaceful. Even though I was low-key tipsy I felt a sudden happiness spark through me like a bolt of lightning hitting an energy grid.

♡♡♡

It was still loud when I got there. Hearing the muffled shouts of strangers: "FUCK!" and "Where's the bathroom?" echo through.

There, on the floor, was a tall, thick haired man; Ray.