twenty-two

"YOU know you're not supposed to be walking around places without an escort."

Natasha leaned against the wall, arms crossed over her chest as she watched Katerina's moves come to a halt as she turned around, her eyes flickering over the redhead's face.

"Send me to the raft then."

"You know I'm not going to do that."

"Why," Katerina questioned, "your secretary seems to wish for my arrival on the raft."

"Secretary Ross has worms for brains," Natasha bit back and Katerina merely raised an eyebrow at her harsh comment before her face went back to being emotionless. "Ross doesn't always get what he wants."

"Do you?"

The question surprised Natasha and she tried her hardest to make sure that her expression was blank just like Katerina's, but she had a feeling the assassin saw through it anyways.

"Do I what?"

"Get what you want."

Natasha tilted her head to the side slightly, contemplating what she wanted her answer to be before she gave it.

"Yes."

Katerina seemed to contemplate it for a moment before moving towards Natasha. "I will go back to my cell now."

"It-It's not a cell, Kat."

"I do not have freedom to move about the building as I please. It is a cell that you have glorified as a bedroom."

Natasha didn't know what to say so she just settled for a small quirk of the lips before leading Katerina towards her room.

"How did the meeting with Dr. Rodgers go?"

Katerina stiffened and Natasha immediately knew that she had said the wrong words.

"We are not friends, Natalia. We are not even acquaintances. I will not settle for you thinking we are."

Her tone was harsh and cryptic and Natasha just bowed her head slightly, letting out a sigh as Katerina moved ahead of her, waiting by her door for Natasha to open it. Once she did she swiftly walked in, slamming the door in the redhead's face.

Natasha let out a groan of annoyance as she turned, making her way back into the elevator and taking it to her floor. She wished that she had just kept her mouth closed so that she didn't ruin the small conversation that they had been having. She seemed to have been doing a lot better, and then Natasha fucked up.

She made her way back to her floor and apartment, closing the door behind her and letting out a long breath.

"Nat."

Turning, Natasha caught sight of Maria sitting on her couch with a glass of wine.

"Ria, what are you doing here?"

Natasha made her way over to the couch, sitting down next to Maria and taking the glass of wine she was offering her.

She wasn't upset that Maria was there, in fact she was glad that the woman was. She was always able to make Natasha forget about everything going on for a while, and she never pushed her questions onto Natasha. She was always given an out if she wanted one.

"I came to make sure you were alright. Fury sent me after Kat walked out of her therapy session, and before you ask, no, I don't know the details. Fury didn't let me sit in on the meeting."

"It's alright," Nat said calmly, taking a small sip of the red wine. "I kind of figured he wouldn't let you sit in on it."

"Are you alright, Nat?"