6 | Hanging

Elisa pov:

The meeting with the military officials was brutal, revealing the delicate situation we all were in at the moment. A decision was taken at the end of the discussion to let all the people within the walls know the truth about our existence. Commander Pixis did not want to keep the people in the dark anymore – everyone deserved to know the truth and also have their memories returned from the king that was stripped from them with the pretext of protecting them until they perished without a chance to fight back.

Eren had had a moment of revelation in the middle of the meeting, though it was covered up by reasoning that puberty was making him act weird. Of course, there was more to his behaviour than that, but it was clear that he did not want to speak of what was on his mind. It was relieving that no one forced him to speak up, and the meeting concluded with Historia officially ordering the revelation of the truth to the world.

Post the meeting, I met up with the others to tell Jean, Sasha and Connie about my past. They were surprised, which was expected, but were happy that I had shared the truth with them. They saw me in a different light now, as someone closer and like family, for they knew more about me than anyone else in the world ever would.

The following morning, we gathered in one of the military building's halls to receive medals as Heroes of the Walls from Historia. We met with a few we had befriended in the Military Police, particularly Hitch who was close to Floch and had been close to Marlow. The latter's death had saddened everyone, just as how the deaths of all the others who had set out on the mission had made us desolate.

It was ironic that we were called the Heroes of the Wall – the people who had sacrificed their lives were the heroes, and we had only taken the fame from them.

"But I'm sure he regretted his decision in the last minute," Floch said to Hitch after they had spoken of Marlow's bravery until the very end. Hitch flinched, feeling even more upset than before. However, she only forced a laugh and walked away while telling us not to mess up the ceremony.

"Oi, what the hell was that for?" asked Jean when Hitch was gone.

"Well, someone has to tell the truth," Floch said sharply, eyeing Eren in disdain. The pressure that settled around us was suffocating, as if I was certain that another argument was about to begin. Well, Floch was still quite upset that Armin had been chosen for the Colossal Titan over Commander Erwin, and he had been prickly about it ever since.

 Well, Floch was still quite upset that Armin had been chosen for the Colossal Titan over Commander Erwin, and he had been prickly about it ever since

"I know that you desperately wanted to revive Commander Erwin," mumbled Armin.

"That's right," agreed Floch. "I thought that the commander was the right choice – not you. And I wasn't the only one. It's all of us."

He glanced over all the other soldiers in the room as they were huddled in groups and talking amongst each other. I spared a glance over them too, feeling mildly uneasy.