Ale's Dilemma

"You know the Emperor told me when I made you a cadet?" Philon sat down at the wooden table that had been chipped from drunken sword swinging and fist slamming. Ale, tensing up at the other end, shook his head. His father began laughing, took a long swig of his wheat beer, and sat it down, clearing his throat. "He told me that he was grateful, that my son would be great because I am—hiccup—great!" Philon seemed to be on the fence of rage and passing out. The man jammed his fists on the table when he noticed Ale was looking away and out the window.

"Keep your eyes over here, boy! Remember the opportunities I've given you by putting in a good word with the Emperor. I could've left you with your whore mother to work on a farm while she works with the heterae." His voice raised, and Ale's eyes flinched and nodded his head, "Yes, sir." The young man responded, his voice cracking. "I've given you greatness, and you take it for granted. Helping that thieving little girl into the palace kitchens-"

"She was starving and crying, Father. I thought-" Ale interrupted and immediately regretted it when he saw his father stand up and stumble some from the copious amounts of alcohol in his system. "Did I give you permission to speak? Did I?" He huffed, chest getting larger. "Your one and only job was to lead the right people in and keep the common rabble out of the palace. But no, my son thinks he knows better than me...better than the Emperor!" Philon began to walk over, and Ale got up to his feet, the chair clattering on the ground.

"That little thief stole food and left. And in the same night, you let the wrong kind of people in, the son of the prince went missing." Philon grabbed Ale by the collar of his shirt and pinned him against the wall. "I have half the mind to beat you senseless." Ale's father continued and then dropped his son on the floor and turned around. "But you'll need to be in good shape. You caused this mess, and I told the Emperor that you would go out and find that missing royal or it'll be both our heads on a pike." He spat on the dirt floor and picked up his Ale, "Get dressed; you start your search at daybreak. And no more of this social justice act. Know your place or I'll put you there." The man whose breath was hot with beer stumbled to his hay bed and passed out almost immediately. Ale was hyperventilating and put his hand over his chest, his heart pounding like a rabbit that was chased by a bear.

A few hours passed, and Ale had not a wink of sleep, fearful of his father rising and starting up again. Instead, he put on his ill-fitting armor and his helm and went out the door of the guards barracks and into the city streets of Athens. The sun was covered by rain clouds, and the markets were bustling with travelers, farmers, and merchants all seeking out and trading goods and luxuries. That's when he went around and stopped people in the cobble streets, "Have you seen the prince?" He asked a weary old woman carrying a large pack on her back with twinkling crystal wind chimes. She shook her head, "No sir, would you like to see my wares?" She did not care about a missing prince, only to make drachmae. Ale heaved a sigh and continued on throughout the city.

"Have you seen the prince, sir?"

"Prince? What prince?"

"Ma'am have you seen the prince?"

"I have no business with you! Know nothing about a prince!"

"Miss, have you seen the-" Ale began to ask a small beggar on the corner until she looked up and it was the little girl he had helped into the palace. "You!" Ale furrowed his brows before the little girl punched him in the groin and scurried away. He collapsed immediately on the ground, gasping for air and reached her direction, "Wait!-gasp- I just wanted to ask you-gasp-" Ale groaned before he could keep calling out, sitting on the depressing street by a murky puddle. "Nice one Ale, you can't do anything right." He muttered to himself, a carriage passing by and the wheel splashing the dirty water all over him.

He gasped again and stood up immediately, saying curses under his breath and looking down at the puddle. He saw two faces staring back and he jumped, pointing his spear around him. The two faces were Heron and Aeschylus who had been on their way to Zosime's shop, this time they had a parchment rolled up in Heron's hand. "Put the sword down before you hurt yourself." Aeschylus chuckled and smiled at the pitiful guard. "Listen kid, if you go around asking people for a missing prince, you'll never find him. They don't trust you; you've got a punchable face." Aeschylus continued his brash speech and Heron laughed at what he said.

"I have to find him or-" Ale immediately began to trip over his words, and the two brothers began laughing again as if everything Ale said was a punchline for a joke. "If you want information, you have to provide something in return. That's city life." Heron quipped, and his brother nodded, "Yeah, something like that." Aeschylus joined in, and they reached the shop door, Heron banging his fists on the wood and the distant sound of shuffling approached.

Author's Note:

If you've been reading this far, great! I hope you're enjoying the story and excited for what's to come next. I wanted to make this note to explain some concepts so they aren't completely confusing. First, terminology as follows: Drachmae - This is ancient Greek currency, Heterae - This is what legal prostitutes were called back then.

If there are any questions or just any comments you, the reader, might have, feel free to do so! How you're liking the story so far and suggestions! I'd love to hear your opinions.

Until then,
C.M