Chapter 1

Yona's interest in history has always been a "useless hobby" as her mother said. Her desire to pursue it in university was quickly shut down by her success-driven mother who encouraged her to go into boring accounting. Yona secured a well paying job (perhaps through the connection of her mother) and worked 6 days a week, leaving no time for dating. 

On her few days off, she decided to go to the history museum pop up in her local city. Her favorite part of history was undoubtedly the world wars. She loved learning about the battles and the artillery used. The warmth of the museum shielded her from the cold air as she quickly hurried in. Yona spent her time wandering the exhibit until she laid her eyes on the main focus of the show: the restored HMC M8 tank. 

This tank had always been her absolute favorite. She knew every battle and use of the tank and had always felt a connection with it. As she was looking at it, she heard a voice speak behind her, "It's a beauty isn't it?" She looked behind her and saw the most beautiful man. 

He was tall and well built, and had a classic beauty to him. "Yea, I've always loved this one." Yona replied, the man smiled. "I'm Scott" the tall man introduced. After their initial introduction, Yona felt like time passed by so quickly. They talked in the exhibit cafe for hours and Yona never felt more connected to anyone. After hours, the exhibit was closing and it was time to say goodbye. Yona and Scott walked towards the exit; Scott's brown leather loafers clicked against the tile floor and broke the comfortable silence. 

The clicking stopped once the pair reached the entrance and Scott spoke, "This is where I have to say goodbye for today," Yona looked heartbroken at the thought of not being able to spend more time with him. "Do you have a cell phone number, or any other form of contact?" Scott shook his head but instead handed her a piece of paper. He ushered her out of the museum and locked the doors. Yona stood there dumbfounded. She slowly walked away and read the note:

I'll be waiting here <3

She couldn't help but smile at the sweet note. And so everyday after work, she would stop by the exhibit to converse with Scott. She talked endlessly with him--never running out of things to say. She would notice weird glances from other enjoyers of the pop up, but she just brushed it off as jealousy from talking with such a handsome man. 

Their conversations continued until the last day of the exhibit. As usual, Scott walked Yona to the door. "Since the exhibit ends, how will we meet again?" Yona asked, looking into Scott's eyes. Scott smiled and gave Yona a loving kiss on the lips. This surprised her, but she felt butterflies in her stomach. This was the closest thing she's felt to love, and she knew it. She was falling in love with Scott. Even though she didn't know anything about him, she felt safe and familiar with him. He handed Yona a note with the instructions to not open it until she got home, and ushered her out the door once more. 

This time, instead of immediately locking up, he stared at her through the glass until she walked around the corner. In Yona's apartment, she eagerly opened the note thinking it would contain the details of their next meeting. She was utterly disappointed.

My dear Yona,

These past months have been the highlight of my dreary life. Seeing your face everyday made me forget all of the pain and scars that I carry from my past. I felt the instant connection from the movement when we first met eyes. I've never felt such a strong connection with a human, and I yearn to see you when we are apart. But unfortunately my dear, I have to say goodbye. My stay in the city is over, and I have to leave. I hope you understand why we can't be together. While this may sound silly, I am HMC M8 (the tank). I am the soul of the great tank, and so my time with you has been cut short. Let us meet in our next life. I love you.

Bests,

HMC M8 "Scott"

Yona could feel the fat tears rolling down her eyes. While she didn't necessarily believe that he was a tank (ghost?), she could tell that she wouldn't see him again. That night, Yona cried herself to sleep. Is this why people always stared at her? Is this why he never walked her home? The next morning, Yona got up bright and early and made her way to the museum where the exhibition was. 

When she walked in, she was disappointed to see the set-up gone. All of the memorabilia, art, and most importantly the M8, was gone. She walked over to the bench near the bathroom and sat down teary eyed. She shuffled her feet and accidentally hit something. She brought the object up and noticed a large box with "To Yona" written on it. 

She laughed through her tears at the small gift and opened it. Inside laid a pair of brown loafers identical to the ones Scott wore. The left shoe held a note in the sole reading "I hope these shoes lead you to me." Yona giggled and walked out of the museum with a smile on her face. She knew that she would reunite with Scott eventually.