Chapter Two

September 1963
The first day of school at Voltaire High heralded the arrival of autumn, its gentle warmth a soothing balm to Élise Dubois's mixture of nerves and anticipation. As the soft golden hues of sunrise filtered through her bedroom curtains, they bathed the room in a comforting light, signaling the dawn of a momentous day. Today was not just the start of a new school year but also a historic moment for Voltaire High – the all-boys institution was opening its doors to girls for the first time.

Élise, lying in her bed, allowed herself a moment to take in the serene morning light. Her room, a blend of elegant furnishings and personal mementos, reflected the many facets of her life – the expectations of her family legacy, her personal aspirations, and the remnants of a carefree childhood.

But her thoughts inevitably drifted to the gala weeks ago, particularly to the charged moments she had shared with Joseph Descamps. She remembered his challenging gaze, the unsaid words hanging between them, and the tension that seemed to crackle in the air. Shaking her head, Élise pushed these memories to the back of her mind, focusing instead on the significance of the day ahead.

Anne, her maid and a comforting presence in her life, entered the room with her usual warm smile. "Good morning, Mademoiselle Élise. I've prepared your school attire as requested," Anne announced, her voice a steady anchor amidst Élise's swirling thoughts.

"Thank you, Anne," Élise responded, sitting up and smoothing her nightgown. She glanced at the outfit laid out for her – a chic, tailored skirt and blouse that struck a balance between elegance and the school's dress code. "Could you do my hair half up, half down today? And please use my blue ribbon – the one from the gala. It's become a bit of a lucky charm," she added, a tinge of superstition in her voice.

Anne nodded and began rummaging through Élise's accessories, but her expression soon turned to one of mild concern. "I can't seem to find your blue ribbon, Mademoiselle," she said, her brows furrowed. Élise, feeling a sudden sense of unease, joined Anne in the search. That ribbon was more than just a piece of fabric; it was a symbol of good fortune, a talisman that she had come to rely on, especially today.

After a thorough but fruitless search, Élise, with a sense of resignation, agreed to a different hairstyle. She quickly dressed in her chosen outfit, her movements automatic as she grappled with the minor yet unsettling start to her day.

Breakfast with her parents was a quick affair. Her father, Henri Dubois, looked at her with a mix of pride and expectation. "Today, you're not just my daughter, Élise. You're a pioneer, part of a historic moment for this school," he said, his voice imbued with a sense of gravity. His words, meant to be encouraging, felt heavy, adding to the pressure Élise already felt.

The drive to school was filled with her father's attempts at casual conversation, which Élise answered in monosyllables, her mind elsewhere. She sought refuge in the melody of 'Tut, Tut, Tut, Tu' by Gillian Hills, only for her father to change the station to the news, a subtle reminder of the reality awaiting her.

˚ · • . °

As Élise stepped out of the car, her father's voice broke through her reverie. "Good luck, Élise. Remember, you're not just representing our family, but you're setting a precedent for all the girls who will follow," he said, his tone a mix of pride and solemnity.

"Thank you, Father. I'll do my best," Élise replied, her voice steady despite the flutter of nerves in her stomach.

Walking through the gates, the whispers were almost immediate. Élise could hear snippets of conversations, a mix of curiosity and skepticism from her new classmates.

"Is that Élise Dubois?" one of the girls whispered.

"Yeah, the one from the Dubois family. Can't believe she's actually attending a public school," another girl replied, her tone a mix of awe and envy.

Élise kept her head high, her steps measured. She was used to being the subject of whispers, but it felt different here, more pronounced, more daunting.

Then, her gaze fell on a familiar figure, talking with a group of boys. A flash of the gala night – the dance, the fall, his smirk – passed through her mind.

"It can't be him," she thought, a wave of conflicting emotions washing over her. But it was. Joseph turned, and their eyes met. The world around them seemed to pause.

Breaking away from their intense stare, Élise continued on her path, her stride a perfect blend of poise and determination. She could feel the weight of Joseph's gaze on her back as she walked away. The urge to look back was strong, but she refused to give him the satisfaction.

˚ · • . °

Joseph was surrounded by his group of friends, their attention momentarily diverted from the usual schoolyard banter to Élise's retreating figure. The air was thick with teenage curiosity and the unspoken dynamics of high school hierarchies.

Jean Dupin, one of Joseph's closer friends, known for his blunt inquiries, broke the silence. "You know her?" he asked, his eyes narrowing slightly, a hint of disbelief in his tone. The group's attention shifted, now fully focused on Joseph.

Joseph took a moment before answering, a slow smile spreading across his face. "Yeah, I do," he said, his voice carrying a casual confidence. "She's a Dubois."

The name 'Dubois' elicited an immediate reaction from the group. "A Dubois?" they echoed, their expressions a mix of surprise and intrigue. The Dubois family was well-known, their name synonymous with wealth and influence.

"You're not talking about THE Dubois family, are you?" Dupin pressed further, skepticism lacing his voice. "Like Henri and Claudette Dubois?"

Joseph leaned back against the bench, his smirk now more pronounced. He enjoyed this moment, the spotlight on him, his friends hanging on his every word. "What other fucking Dubois do you know?" he joked, the group chuckling in response. "Yeah, Henri and Claudette," he confirmed, relishing the awe in their faces.

"My dad works for them," Joseph added, lowering his voice as if sharing a confidential secret. "I met her at their gala this summer. She's not as nice as she looks, you know. All that privilege... she's a totally different person behind closed doors."

Dupin, who never missed an opportunity for a risqué joke, quipped with a sly grin, "I wouldn't mind getting with a girl with such a stick-up attitude." His comment elicited snickers from their other friend, Charles Vergoux , but Joseph felt a twinge of annoyance at the remark.

"But I haven't told you guys the best part," Joseph said, shifting the focus back to himself. "I've got something of hers," he said, his voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. The group leaned in closer, the anticipation palpable.

Joseph reached into his pocket with a dramatic flair, pulling out the blue ribbon he had taken from Élise on the night of the gala. He held it up triumphantly. "Her virginity," he declared, his smirk now a full-blown grin.

A stunned silence enveloped the group of three for a brief moment before Dupin snatched the ribbon from Joseph's grasp, examining it closely. "Wait, you were really with her?" he asked, his voice a mix of disbelief and admiration, as he noticed the delicate embroidery of the initials on the ribbon.

The ribbon was then passed around, each boy examining it with a mixture of awe and envy. Joseph watched with a self-satisfied air, his smirk firmly in place. He reveled in the attention and admiration his lie had garnered. Yet, beneath his confident exterior, a complex mix of emotions churned: satisfaction, guilt, and a sense of power over the narrative he had just spun.
✶⋆ ✶⋆ ✶⋆ ✶⋆ ✶⋆ ✶⋆
Hii hope you enjoyed the second chapter all though it's a bit short.
Leave feedback here if you want on how I can improve and please vote!❤️