Escape

Multiple Personality Disorder.
---------------------------------------------------------
You didn't have it. You didn't have any disorders, actually. You preferred to avoid labels. You were just you, and aware that, whilst "you" can change, you are still only ever yourself.

Despite the fact that you were extremely self-aware, you didn't have an original personality. The one you had created was simply an amalgamation of different traits, interests and hobbies that the people around you preferred you to have. Someone didn't like it? You changed it, suiting near-everyone around you.

Suiting everyone, however, is an impossibility, meaning the harshness and cruelty you did receive was two-times worse than what everyone else around you experienced.

Everyone wanted you to be perfect.
You try, but you are bound to fail.

You grew up in a quiet town, away from the city but near all of the resources you needed to live. You had good grades, but never much money, so it was no surprise to most when you decided to teach English.

Your single mother, however, was infuriated.

She beat you with sticks and pelted you with shards of broken glass and yelled at you for hours on end, going on about how you need to contribute more to your family and household. She wanted you to be a dentist or a lawyer so that you could finally pay off the debt she'd gathered up from gambling.

Very hesitantly, you refused.
You were beaten horribly that night.

She cane up with a new punishment. An alarm system, wired into your bed, that would screech if you left it during the night or didn't get in on time. As soon as it went off, you were beaten with the nearest thing the woman could find.

So, the night before your first day at "The Thing Academy" (funny name, you thought. But you would take anything if it got you away from your mother. A nineteen year-old shouldn't be beaten anyways.) you came up with a plan for escape.

You placed a large, weighted teddy bear onto your bed, hoping that the alarm system was triggered by weight being placed on the bed and not actual cameras watching you climb in.

You waited, anticipation and tension running through your veins, until...

...

...

...You heard the satisfying "Whirrrrr click!" Of the alarm system shutting off.

You let out a silent sigh. You could finally escape.

You gathered up some things. Your laptop, your pencils and some lollies you had, stashed away. You threw all of these in a bag you had prepared earlier, containing your phone, some clothes and your toothbrush.

You carefully threw the bag over you shoulders, trying to make as little noise as possible.

You froze, realizing you had nearly forgotten some of the most important things in your life.

Your beloved Red Admiral butterflies, Nymph and Morpho, sat on the kitchen counter in their terrarium. Your mother was bound to kill them if they were left behind.

You wouldn't be able to make the safest path out by jumping through your window if you wanted to save them. Which, of course, you did. You'd have a significantly higher chance of getting caught, but it was 3 in the morning. Surely your mother was asleep by now.

You slowly, cautiously nudged your door open, and looked left to right. Nothing. All of the lights were off, meaning your mother was definitely asleep by now. You crept to the kitchen, hoping the floorboards wouldn't creak and give you away.

'She's gonna find me. No matter where I go.' The thought made you shudder involuntarily. 'Best prevent that, whilst I still can.'

You pulled a lighter off of a shelf and lit up the couch. You knew you had to move quickly, but there was an uber scheduled for your driveway already. You had a minute to enjoy the realisation that by the time your mother awoke, it would be too late for her.

You stood, a monotonous smile plastered across your face. Grabbing your bag and your butterflies, you left for the uber at the end of your driveway.