Chapter 9

6 years ago
20th November 1999

As a little girl ran around the kitchen, playing around with her own small kitchen set, acting like an old lady who was trying her best to "cook" rice on an artificial stove, her elder sister smiled at the little mischiefs of as she was frying actual fries on a real stove.

The ring of a bell distracted the elder sister; she switched off the stove and went out of the kitchen, suddenly forgetting about her little sister. In her hurry, she accidentally ended up locking the only door to the kitchen.

Out of sheer curiosity of an 11 year old, she decided to turn the stove back on, which she miserably failed at. After several attempts she gave up, leaving the stove on.

Meanwhile, the elder sister opened the door to find her grandpa, who asked her to get him his documents from the attic. He did not enter the house while she practically darted to the attic and tried to find the papers. It took her about 15 minutes to do so.

When she came back, a shrill scream escaped from her lips as her eyes took in the sight of a burning kitchen. She stood there, as if frozen to the ground. Her grandpa had heard her scream and had now come in.

It was as if it was fate. The "accident" was fate. It was as if it was meant to be. It was as if the kitchen was almost supposed to catch fire. It was as if the door was locked on purpose, to let the "accident" happen. It was as if...the little girl was supposed to die that day.

If anything, it was a near-death experience. She was out for a month, because of the trauma and the healing. Thankfully, she survived. The family was happy. Until they found out that she had lost her memories of the past year.

What consoled them was that at least nothing of importance had happened in that past year. Just that the other twin had failed school while spending her time in praying and doing everything in the little girl's power to help her dear sister regain consciousness; she read her their favourite bed-time storiesー that their elder sister read to them every night she couldー played their favourie album In Utero again and again, held her hand and cried until there were were no tears left, and many more uncountable things.

The other twin made full recovery in another month, during her time in the hospital, during which she learned about the shared memories of the past yearーshe also decided that she would study in order to redo the exams she had missed, completely opposite to the other twin, who had entirely given up on the idea of redoing the exams.

Their elder sister accompanied them whenever she was free from University because apparently, grandpa would have definitely killed her if she wasn't consistent, especially after how she let such a big slip-up happen. Grandpa would occasionally show up and, to show his concerns for his favourite granddaughter, would bring her favourite sour candies and purple hyancinths.

She was finally discharged and could go home. But something in her didn't want to stay there. Maybe it was the frequent headaches, or maybe it was the awfully blurry flashbacks in which all she heard was distant, ear-screeching laughs and the crackling of fire, due to which she couldn't sleep.

When grandpa found out about it after four months, he decided to allow the three girls their own home, although he was reluctant at first but the elder sister finally managed to convince him. He still didn't leave them fully alone.

He had put them under their family friend's care.

They discussed everything in the shared mansion of the two familiesーthough the Sebastians spent most of their time thereーand brought his granddaughters a house near the Sebastians own house.

Author's note:
Woahh! No wayy!! Another update ;)
Oh wait it's a short update...U^U