Chapter 32: It's okway, I'm fwine

The marble floor glimmers under the shimmering light of the chandelier that hangs proudly above us, with its crystals gracefully dancing in the air. It hangs right in the middle of a huge hall, with elegant staircases fixed on the sides. Pillars support the ceiling, adding decoration to the beautiful vast space.

Lizzy leads us to the kitchen. The freshly cleaned marble countertop shines in the light, with not a single speck of dust visible. The smell of freshly fried chicken pervades the kitchen, making my stomach grumble in response.

"Seems like someone's hungry." Lizzy chuckles, causing me to blush in embarrassment.

"The food does smell delicious." My mom chuckles as well.

"Have the guests arrived?" A man with features relating to Tristan asks as he enters the kitchen. His voice is both calm and authority oozes out of it. His brown hair is darker than Tristan's, but I can see that Tristan has his good looks from him. His are ocean blue with specks of green, they don't match Tristan's. Tristan probably gets his eyes from his mother's.

"Frank, good to see partner." Mr. Wilder shakes hands with my dad.

"Jared, good to see too." My father greets back.

The adults continue to talk about business and I am left alone and I just stand to listen their tedious conversation.

"Let's all sit down and have dinner. Hailey dear, please call Tristan. Second room to the left, second floor." Lizzy asks politely and I give a nod in return.

While the adults go to the dinner table, I head upstairs to find Tristan's room. The halls exude opulence, with original paintings hung onto the walls. I reach Tristan's room, but stop as I hear loud whispers.

"Yes, I'm sure! I only brought her up to my room--"

"We only kissed then--"

"Nicole is lying!"

Nicole and Tristan? That's what those girls were talking about. They slept together. Nicole was even bragging about it at school. I was dumb to think that maybe we stood a chance, that maybe he might reciprocate my feelings, but I guess not. If my own brother could hurt me, than what about a person I met just two months ago?

"Hailey?" Tristan's voice pulls me out of my thoughs.

"U-Uhm your mother said I should call you down for dinner." I say, not able to look at him in the eye. I had no tears in my eyes, not even glassy eyes, but I am hurt. Hurt by myself for trusting someone who has the chance to hurt me multiple times. Hurt by people for playing with my heart and hurt by thinking that maybe I have a chance of happiness.

"I'm coming." He says.

Without wasting another second, I run downstairs in the same way as I came, but something or someone collides with me.

"Oops, sorry." I apologize. I thought everyone was downstairs except me and Tristan.

"It's okway, I'm fwine." A cute little girl, about four or five years old, says to me with a toothy grin plastered all over her face.

"Awe, hi there, what's your name?" I ask her, admitting her cuteness. Her blonde hair lies in pigtails alongside her ears and her brown eyes shine so brightly without a single worry. Any person can tell that she's going to be very beautiful when she's older.

"I'm Emily," She says. "Wanna play with me?" She asks, showing me her doll that rests in her small arms.

"Okay, but after dinner." I smile at her.

"Okay!" She jumps in excitement and inserts her hand in mine.

She's so cute!

"Emily, where's your brother?" Tristan's voice makes me sotop in my tracks.

"He's sweeping." She says.

Sweeping? At this time?

"Please go wake him up." Tristan instructs his little sister.

Oh, sleeping not sweeping.

"How much of my conversation did you hear?" Tristan's face hardens-- his wall is up again.

"Enough."

"How much is enough?" He prods, his face becoming more threatening with each word.

"Enough to know the truth." I state.

"Well, whatever you heard is not true."

Not true? The whole school was talking about it.

"I don't care." With that, I leave him on the spot and head back to the dining room.

~

"What do you want to become?" Mr. Wilder, Jared asks me.

"Honestly, I don't know." I answer truthfully.

I want to study medicine, but at the same time, I want to continue fighting, but legally. I know my parents won't really be happy about it, but I really want to do it, maybe for a year, then I'll follow my career path.

"It happens. At least Tristan here, is going to take over my company when he finishes with high school." he smiles proudly at his son, who seems irritated by the topic.

"After a year of doing what I want." Tristan corrects his father bluntly.

"We will not have this conversation now." His father sternly replies, earning an eye roll from Tristan.

"This dinner is amazing, Lizzy." My mother says.

"Yes mommy! But I wanna sweep," Evan yawns. Evan's Tristan's little brother and Emily's twin brother. He also has blonde hair, but it rests in perfect curls around his head. His eyes are a bit darker than Emily's hazel ones. His chubby cheeks just make you want to pinch them.

All in all, hes adorable!

"Okay, go and sleep. Tristan, can you and Hailey tuck in the twins?" Lizzy asks, not aware of the tension between him and I.

Tristan nods without a word and stands up, with me mirroring his actions, before taking one last bite of my chicken.

It's really delicious.

"Thank you!" Lizzy smiles at my mother.

"And thank you for allowing Hailey to stay here for the next mouth." My mother continues.

I choke on my food.

Tristan's eyes widen and we both stare at our mothers in bewilderment.

I'll be saying here?

For a month?

~

End of another chapter.

Vote & Comment

And don't forget to follow me.

-Savannah Pirtle