Chapter 58: Department of "Miseries"

"There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for"-J

-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Anyone want to tell me what's going on?", Moody inquires, his voice eerily calm.

"Snape flooed in. Harry's gone. He saw a vision of Sirius getting attacked by Voldemort. He's headed to the Ministry to save him, Alastair, and they know about the Occlumency connection", Remus explains as calm as he can. Tonks' eyes look like they're about to pop out of her head. Kingsley hangs his head low, devastated that the inevitable has finally come.

"He's known since Arthur's attack...", he assumes, shaking his head.

"Shit... Alright", Moody rubs his chin, devising a plan. "We knew something like this could happen. We've planned for this...".

"Alastair. There are others with him. Ron and Hermione, and a few of their friends. We have to get them before they're ambushed", Brigitte pleads.

"We have to get to them now!", Sirius screams. "I can't just stay here and talk".

"You're right, Black, but we need to be on the same page", Moody stops him. Remus stands tall, blocking Sirius from doing anything stupid.

"It'll do no one any good if we get caught before saving Harry and his friends. We stay quiet and together, and get down to the Department of Mysteries. There's no telling where they could be. The Hall of Prophecies are hidden for a reason, but luckily we know how to reach them", Kingsley says. "Julien-- you stay here in case someone from the Order stops by, and keep an eye on Kreacher".

"Shouldn't we contact the others?", Brigitte asks. Tonks stands close to her. Being a trained Auror, she's ready for almost anything; but the stakes become astronomically higher when the rescue is for children they care very much about.

"She's right. Gus was down in his lab. I didn't want to disturb him", she says, now regretting that.

"There's no time. We need to get there now", Moody disinclines.

"It isn't wise to potentially expose the entire Order", Kingsley adds. "We don't know what we're walking into".

"If we all die tonight, best we keep some of our people around", Moody concludes. Remus looks at him furiously, then turns to Brigitte.

"Are you sure we all need to go?", he asks hesitantly.

"We all go, Lupin, and we all go now", Moody says, turning to march down the stairs. Sirius is fast to follow after him. But Remus grabs Brigitte's arm, holding her back.

"Darling, please keep yourself safe. I don't know what's going to happen, but it won't be good. Just-- stay safe". He rests his forehead against hers, and she stands on her tip toes to place a soft kiss to his lips.