A Rainy Day

Satan sat back more comfortably into his armchair and let out an interested hum as he turned the page of his book and his eyes raced over each sentence.

A serene feeling settled over the demon and a smile played on his face as the soft pitter patter of rain reached his ears — accompanied with the warmth of the crackling fire in the fireplace, a steaming mug of tea and his favourite book, Satan couldn't be more content.

That was until...

Plunk.

Satan furrowed his brow in confusion as he slowly lowered his book and turned his gaze towards the mug that he had rested on the table beside his armchair.

He has been certain he heard something fall into his tea.

Plunk.

He watched as a drop of water fell into his drink, before the pitter pattering of rain steadily grew plunder around him until Satan found himself caught in a heavy downpour of rain.

"What the—?" Satan's eyes darted to the library ceiling where dark clouds had formed as he quickly slammed his book shut and held it closely to his chest — as though this would protect the tome from getting wet.

He could already feel his hair and clothes sticking to his skin from the rain.

Satan leaped out of the armchair and ran from the library only to find that the hallway was in an identical state as Leviathan darted out of his bedroom at the same time; Leviathan held his arms over his head in a futile attempt to keep himself dry.

"Don't tell me you summoned Lotan again?" Satan frowned and shook his head at the other demon.

"This isn't my doing!" Leviathan snapped back defensively. "Maybe one of your pranks against Lucifer went wrong!"

Satan scoffed, "as if I'd be that careless."

"This rain has to be coming from somewhere!"

"Then we better find it quickly before it leaves any lasting damage," Satan said with a sigh as he looked down at the waterlogged book in his arms.

Leviathan nodded in agreement, "you check upstairs, I'll check down."

With a nod of his own to show that he had understood his brother's instructions, Satan set off down the corridor, checking each room he passed for anything that could be the source of the sudden rainfall.

He spared himself a few minutes as he passed through the library and reached Lucifer's study, allowing himself a moment to take in the mess that the rain had caused — Satan tried to stifle a laugh at the thought of Lucifer returning to the House of Lamentation and stumbling into his study to find rain cascading down from the ceiling and his precious paperwork completely drenched and the ink running off of the pages with an expression of confusion and rage. He shook the thought from his mind as he closed the door on the room and recomposed himself.

He was about to head towards the next room when his D.D.D let out a little beep and a sharp vibrate.

Satan withdrew the device from the pocket of his trousers and unlocked it to find a message waiting for him.

Leviathan:
In the kitchen.

The device gave another beep and vibrated in his hand as another text bubble appeared under Leviathan's name.

Leviathan:
It's Beel.

Satan heaved a weary sigh as he typed out and sent a reply.

Satan:
On my way.