The decree

(Anthony)

I couldn't help but think about Maggielyn's birthday ball as I undressed. How many more would I have to go through before my coronation ball? I thought back on my conversation with Marigold. Neither of us was completely happy with our positions in the palace. My thoughts returned to the birthday ball. I wondered what Sir Cristianno and Marigold talked about. They seem to have fun. Perhaps someone would finally sweep the mysterious Lady Marigold off her feet. I laughed, thinking of how oblivious she was to how many eyes she drew tonight. She had been wearing a purple and blue gown with glitter raining from the top of the bodice to the flared skirt. The golden bangles on her forearms made her honey-colored skin shine. Her cascading, curly, auburn locks gracefully framed her face, adding a natural elegance to her presence. There was no possibility that with her beauty, she would be the first to get married, perhaps to Sir Christianno. That would be great. Then, I could marry anyone else and speed up the coronation process. That's when I had a great idea.

I quickly got dressed and headed toward the throne room. I had to talk to my father. I kneeled before the throne and stood again.

"Father, I have a request," I say.

"What is it, my son?" My father says.

"I overheard a couple of guests at the ball talking about Lady Marigold," I tell my father. Though in truth, I was lying.

"What about her?" Father asked.

"They said that Lady Marigold did not deserve the respect she got," I continued to lie, "they said that she was a glorified tutor, that there was nothing special about her."

"Who said this?" Father's voice filled with concern, so I decided to backpedal a bit.

"I'm not sure. But others argued that Lady Marigold deserved more respect," I said. "They said she deserved at least the title of royal advisor since she has advised us in many circumstances."

"What is it you want, Anthony?" My father asked, seeming to catch on to my ruse.

"I agree with the latter," I stated. "Marigold deserves much more than just the title of tutor."

"I see," Father responded. "let me talk it over with your mother,"

"Thank you, Father." I bowed and left him to think over my request.

(Marigold)

"Why do we have to go to the decree?" Princess Alia asks as Marigold braids her hair. Alia was ten and was the princess with the most attitude.

"And why do we have to get dressed up," Princess Kayla asked. Kayla was nine and hated getting dressed up for anything. Before I could respond, Maggielyn spoke up.

"Because Mother wants us to be there when she makes her announcement," the young princess said as she put Princess Sofia's tiara on her head.

"Exactly," I said. "Now, Alia, go help Celeste."

"Why do I have to do it?!" she shouted.

"Because you're the next princess to become an adolescent, and you must be prepared to help your sisters like Maggielyn is doing," I said sternly. "Now, either help Celeste or work on your mathematics, your choice."

"I'm the princess here! You do what I say!" Alia shouted again.

"Alia!" The harsh voice of Queen Maria came from the door. I quickly stood up and bowed in the queen's presence.