.
.
.

"𝐒/𝐍, 𝐈 𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐘 with me, okay?" Seok Yu-jun shouted over the chaos around them, one of his hands holding onto his wooden baseball bat whilst the other was fastened around his classmate's forearm to not lose her in the crowd. "S/n," he repeated the h/c-haired girl's name when she didn't answer him. He glanced over his shoulder to see her meeting his gaze. "Did you hear what I said?"

"Yes..." she quietly mumbled, though it was hard to hear her over the screaming of the other passengers and growls from the nearing living dead.

"Good." Seok let out a sigh of relief. Because of the chaos around them, he didn't even realize that he was doubling back on his word from earlier. He said that in any survival situation, it's every man for himself, but here he was, worrying about someone who wasn't him. But, fuck, what are these things? And can they be killed? "We need to keep moving!" He concluded.

Y/n, in a panic, looked over her shoulder only to see a handful of the reincarnated corpses pouring out from the past few carts that they overrun. They did not break a sweat, they were all as energized as ever. "We'll never be able to outrun these things..." she concluded as she glanced to the back of Seok's head, just wondering how they were going to survive these things.

"Eh?" Seok raised a brow once he overheard her pessimistic comment. "What did you just say?" He didn't want to believe what he was hearing. Surely, they can drive these things back... right? It just had to be the case. If they couldn't, then how else was he going to be able to call his mom? His little sister? He didn't want to die like this—meaningless and without being identified. He simply won't allow it.

"I said we'll never outrun these things!" The h/c-haired girl repeated herself, this time screaming as they passed countless people who were being tackled by the infected and succumbing to the vile and revolting sickness. "They're not getting winded, but we sure as hell are..." it was then that Y/n finally dared to look up at Seok whose gaze softened when seeing that her eyes were welled up with tears. "Every single one of us is going to be devoured!" She cried.

She's right. These things—they're already dead. Their brain doesn't function, which means they don't exhaust or have a need to sleep. So, naturally, their bodies don't produce melatonin or adrenaline. Chances are they'll exhaust themselves before the monsters behind them lose interest in them, but even that's a small possibility in itself since their only goal is to attack, eat, and multiply.

Seok shot her a glance, beads of sweat forming on his forehead. "What do you suggest, then?" He asked. She didn't like any of his ideas so far, so he figured why not allow her to take a crack at it if she's feeling so demanding?

"Hide."

"Where?"

After a moment of bickering about the limited options, Y/n's eyes widened with a sudden realization. "The bathrooms! We can hide in one of the restrooms between the carts. It's our best shot." She replied between heavy breaths, she didn't know how long she could keep running and pushing past people. Y/n was starting to feel lightheaded and she just wanted to sit down somewhere. Anywhere.

Seok hesitated but nodded, realizing the urgency of the situation. "Okay."

Together, they ducked into a cramped restroom, their breaths heavy and adrenaline pumping. Seok offered Y/n the seat as he remained stationed at the door, hugging his baseball bat to his torso as the girl in front of him set her bloodied one down on the ground. The dim light flickered overhead, casting eerie shadows in the confined space.