Chapter 13

"I can't do this," my stomach is turning and the only thing keeping me from throwing up is his presence.

Erik laces his fingers through mine. "I'll be right here the whole time."

I nod, because if I spoke I'm pretty sure I would hurdle.

"Mama, Papa!" Erik calls. "Nicky wants to talk to us."

I squeeze his hands as my stomach turns even more. This is crazy. What am I doing? I went from never making decisions for myself to this? This is crazy.

Liesel and Peter come out of the family room and immediately see Erik and I'd joined hands.

Peter beams. "I called it! I told you, didn't I, Liesel?" He sonnets over to me and gives me a big, fatherly hug. "You are gonna be my favorite of all the boyfriends."

His words move me to tears. "Thanks, but-" I take a breath, "that's not what I wanted to talk about."

Peter lets go of me and him and Mrs. Klose share similar looks of confusion.

"Then what is it, Sweety?" Mrs. Klose asks, taking her husband's hand in a way very similar to the way Erik has gripped my hand.

Erik squeezes my hand.

"I need to ask a favor of you two. A really big favor."

Peter nods, eager. "Whatever it is, ask."

I swallow. "I can't go home. I really tried to convince myself I could- but I just can't. Not for a whole other semester, I just- I hate it there." My voice cracks and I wish the Kloses could go one month without seeing me completely lose it. "I'll go back for Christmas because I owe them that-"

"Debatable," Erik mumbles.

"-but I honestly don't think I can survive any longer than that. I've been really happy this past month, really happy. I haven't felt this loved or supported since...well I don't really know how long. But my parents, my entire family, the don't... it wouldn't be the same. And I can honestly say that I care enough to not do that to myself. I know I don't deserve that. You three taught me that.

"So I guess what I'm asking, if it's not too much for you, is if you would board me for the rest of my high school year. I'm not even sure if I can- I need to call my school and make sure everything would transfer- but I want to. If you'll have me of course."

I take a shake breath, I didn't release how long I'd been rambling.

Liesel and Peter share a look and I hold my breath. Erik squeezes my hand, I squeeze back.

"It's not entirely up to us." Liesel says slowly. "We can't sign off on it, your parents have to. But we Weill say whatever we need to to get them to let you stay."

My heart starts to quicken.

"He can stay?" Erik asks, fighting down a smile incase it's premature.

"Of course he can stay, Erik." Mrs. Klose says. "He's family."

I let out the breath I was holding and tears come with it. Erik lets out a giddy little laugh and throws his arms around me. I hug him back.

I'm safe.

"You can stay." He whispered in my ear. "You can stay."

I squeeze him hard, then look at Liesel and Peter. "Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me. I will never be able to repay all you have done for me."

"You don't need to." Peter says. "That smile is enough."

I run to them and throw my arms around them like a little kid who found their parents after a brief scare in the grocery store. "I'm still gonna try to find a way."