Chapter 1

I threw my blush brush back into the jar I held all of my makeup brushes in. I smiled at myself in the mirror. My touched up pink cheeks looked perfect. My curled brown hair from that morning looked the same from when I did it.

I laid down on the floor taking picture of myself; Some to show of my beautiful contouring I learned how to do on youtube; Others to show off this new gold eye shadow my dad bought me earlier that week. I got off the floor and headed for my bed. 

I looked at the pictures and smile. My smile faded as I put down my phone realizing there is no one I could have possibly shared those pictures with. 

A knock came from my bedroom. I looked over to it as the handle turned and the door opened. My dad poked his head through and smiled at me. I sat up and let my feet dangle off the side of my bed. "Hungry?" He asked

"Always," I answered and jumped down from my bed. My dad held out his hand and showed me the McDonalds bag. I smiled, "We never get fast food. Why tonight?"

"Tomorrow's your birthday. I have to make a cake and dinner. I figured we could go easy tonight." He smiled at me and kissed my forehead.

"Don't you have work?" I asked him opening up the bag. I pulled out the large fries and burger. I grabed a few fries and stuffed them in my mouth. I pulled out my burger from it's wrapping and sat back down on my bed.

"I took the night shift so I could spend the day with my legal adult."

I stopped opening up my sandwich and place it on my bed. I looked up at my father and didn't say anything. I got up from my bed and walked closer to him and hugged him. A few tears fell down my cheeks. I backed away and smiled. "You consider me an adult."

"Yes, you'll be eighteen that's-"

"Does that mean I can leave?"

"What?" Concern washed over my father's face.

"Leave the house, see the town for the first time in ten years." I begged. "Can I please?"

"It's not like it is on the television, Maggie." My father says and turned away from me.

"Please," I pleaded. "I know you're scared but what's going to happen when you die. You can't protect me forever. I'm an adult like you said. I can get a job, a car, my license!" my voice started to raise.

"Please, lets not talk about this now."

"Dad," I cried. I placed my hand on his shoulder and he walked away. He left my room and I followed him down the hallway until he exited through the door leading down the stairs. He locked the door behind him.

I sighed and fell to the floor crying. I picked myself up off the ground and headed back to my room. I picked back up my dinner and ate it in silence staring off into the closet. I wasn't looking at anything specific until a dress caught my eye that my mother gave me before she passed.

I went to my closet and picked it up. The dress couldn't fit me when I was seven but I wasn't seven anymore. This was the dress she wore when she met my dad. She was no older than me. My father told me this story all the time on days when we missed her a lot.

I liked to imagine them meeting. I could picture my father talking to his friend who got him into the party in the first place. He's got a glass of champagne in his hand trying not to spill it on his suit. He glances over his shoulder while talking to his friend and sees her. Standing there laughing with her friends, all in black cocktail dresses, she stands out from all the rest.

My father ignores his friend and makes his way over to my mother and puts his champagne down on a nearby table. He asks her to dance and she blushes while looking at her friends who are all smiling at her and pushing her to dance.