Chapter 1 - Just A Bit of Threatening

"Nata fruit, just 2 tek a piece!"

"Get your fresh seaka fish, just caught this morning!"

"Buy one, get one for half the price!"

The sounds of the marketplace floated into the air. Shopkeepers on either side of Sadie yelled out their merchandise, offering deals on their products to the passer byers. It was a busy day at the market - shipment day - and the town square was packed with shoppers grasping at their wanted items. Sadie passed by a fruit stand, shipped straight from the Mainland. The smell of fresh fruit wafted through the air - spiky Nata fruit, soft Tui fruit, and the bright red Lat's - those were especially popular. Fruit was hard to grow in the Colonies, where Sadie lived, making them quite the treat. Sadie made a mental note to stop by the fruit stand later. (Editors note - she would indeed forget to stop by the fruit stand later).

Though the fresh products were tempting, Sadie had actually come to the market for a different reason. On the east side of the market held Telkott Trading, a company owned by her family. Well, it was owned by her family. It was currently being managed by Richard Nolta, a friend of her parents. He had managed it since their disappearance, and he would continue to for another year. That is, until Sadie came of age and could inherit the company. Though she should be excited, a part of her was terrified at the thought. She had planned to take on more responsibility as she grew older, under the watchful eye of her parents. An entire company seemed like a bit too much responsibility to the young girl. Nonetheless, she felt a responsibility to her parents and to the company.

Suddenly, group of kids rushed past her, breaking her thought process. 

"Tell us a story, Reeno!" Shouted one of the kids, a rutty thing with messy, brown hair.

"Alright, alright, gather around!" A familiar laugh, almost a jingle, filled the air. Sadie turned her head to look at the commotion. The kids gathered around a tall man in the middle of the square, almost trapping him in. There was a twinkle in his eye. "Have I told you the story about the distant land of Neveah?"

Sadie smiled. It was a story she'd heard many times growing up. Reeno has visited her town since she was a little one, telling stories of his adventures. He was an odd traveler - he wore an arrangement of colored rags, sewn together - his hair, slightly raggedy, was grown out just above his shoulders, and he always smelled of the grass after it rained. Despite this, the kids loved him, and more than that, loved his stories. As Reeno kneeled on the ground, the town kids all sat with him, their faces curious and intent.

"Far across the Impassable Sea, there lies the land of Neveah..." He continued an exhilarating story. The Impassable Sea was filled with hidden monsters, sudden storms that arrived even on a clear day, and sharp sea stacks that tore apart boats as if they were simply made of paper. No one was able to cross it, though many have tried. The prize on the other side was beyond compare. A land of riches, flowing with gold. A place where no one goes hungry, so no one has to steal or cheat. A kingdom with a kind and just King, who cares most for the welfare of his people and who would welcome weary travelers, if only they knew how to cross the sea. Alas, many have tried, and none have succeeded.

The children were mesmerized as Reeno told his story, weaving together the magic of mystical creatures and the glory of this new, exciting land. Suddenly, a hefty laugh sounded from beside Sadie.

"Reeno, stop filling these kid's minds with nonsense." Before her stood a bear of a man. Gruff, tall, and red-headed, he had always claimed to descend from the giants of the Northernlands. Whether that was true or not, Richard Nolta always had a knack for sailing, something true of even the least seaworthy of the giants. It's the reason he supervised Telkott Trading at the initial disappearance of Sadie's parents. Reeno turned towards Sadie and Richard.