Chapter 6 - For Freedom

Sadie awoke to the sound of Andrea snoring next to her. It was very dark, but her eyes didn't take too long to adjust. Slowly, carefully, she got up and started packing up her stuff. She wouldn't take it all, just a blanket or two for the long trip ahead. She'd have to leave a few things, like her extra pair of shoes. Only the bare minimum, or else it would be too heavy to travel with.

She moved towards the entrance, pushing the animal hide out of the way and stepping outside. The cool mountain air filled her lungs. It was different from the air at sea. It was colder, less salty, almost seeming to bite into her skin. But it was refreshing, in an odd sort of way, and helped to wake Sadie up. She looked over and saw Mäkret sitting on the ground, leaning against the wall and staring at the sky. Sadie walked over to her, and Mäkret glanced at Sadie, gesturing next to her. Sadie set her stuff down and took a seat.

"Beautiful, ain't it." Mäkret didn't take her eyes off the stars. Sadie looked up as well. The stars here were different too - they were colder, sharper in color, but they were beautiful and seemed to tell a story of their own. Not of the untamable seas or of the creatures beyond, but of the majesty of the mountains and the sharpness of death.

"Very." Her words came out breathy, a shiver passing down her spine. The woman next to her towered above her, in every way different to her besides sex. And yet, together they sat watching the sky, admiring a beauty so beyond them that they hardly had words for it.

"In our language, we call them stjärna; heavenly light. We believe them to be a reflection of the Creator of the worlds - Kreatör." The hard consonants were unfamiliar to Sadie, but they almost sounded like poetry coming from Mäkret. A moment of silence settled between them before she spoke up again.

"It seems the rest of the crew has already gone to sleep. Even that woman, your helper. I've never heard a woman louder in sleep." She gave a breathy laugh, then continued. "So what are you doing up? Couldn't sleep?"

Sadie bit her lip and decided honestly was the best course of action. "I'm leaving, tonight."

She raised an eyebrow. "I don't see any ship making it out of the harbor."

"I'm not leaving for back home, and I'm not here just for the trade." She turned her body to Mäkret. "I'm here to find my parents."

"Why, and do ya think one of us took 'em?" Mäkret bristled for a moment.

Sadie shook her head, and Mäkret calmed slightly. "I'm not sure where they went, but I know they were last seen at Tinga village - alive. I'm going to go there to get some clues."

Mäkret looked thoughtful. "Do you even know how to get there?"

"That's where I was hoping you could help." Sadie grew sheepish, playing with her fingers. "You're right, I don't know the way. But, there must be a map or something," Sadie looked up at Mäkret, "Right?"

Mäkret looked down at Sadie. "We have a map, alright. Not a detailed one, but enough to get from this village to another."

Perfect, just what she'd need. "I'm taking my sleeping materials, and I've packed enough hardtack and salted meat to make it for a while. But, I don't have anything for shelter or carrying water." Sadie went down her mental checklist of items, something she'd done dozens of times in the last 24 hours. "Any chance you have any extra tent shelters, or something for carrying water?"

"Nothing your size, that's for sure." Mäkret gave another laugh. "But, we might have some smaller skins you can take with you. As for water, the mountains are full of freshwater streams. You won't need to worry about that."

Sadie gave a sigh. That took care of those two. "Thank you. I'll compensate you properly, you have my word. Once I'm home, I'll send an extra shipment of whatever material you'd request."

Mäkret was silent for a moment, observing Sadie. Her eyes, dark as the night, peered deep into Sadie's soul. After a moment, her gaze softened. "Consider it on the house, for the extra materials your crew brought."

"That's very kind."

"Of course. I'm the kindest, haven't you heard?" Mäkret gave a wink.

Sadie giggled before growing sober. "Can I ask-" Sadie paused, unsure whether to push her luck. "-why are you helping me?"

Mäkret turned to look back to the sky. "I suppose I see myself in you." She laughed bitterly. "You know, us women are a rarity among the giants. It's hard for us to give birth - many of our children die." She swallowed hard and continued. "The children that are born, most of them are men. Because of that, women are revered - but we are almost trapped. Trapped to grow a child in our womb and watch it die. Trapped to hold our stillborn child in our arms. Trapped to do it again and again in hopes of keeping ourselves from extinction." A fire shone in her eyes. "I didn't want that. So, I worked my way up to this position, to running the shipyard, to owning my own freedom. I earned it, and I plan to keep it." She turned her gaze back to Sadie with a thoughtful expression. "You'll own your own shipyard one day, am I correct?" Sadie nodded.

"Then, you have a chance to make something out of yourself. Your parents may have worked their way for it, but you can still earn it too. Through hard work and dedication - that's the way of the world."

Sadie wasn't sure what to say. "Thank you, Mäkret." She didn't quite pronounce her name right, but Mäkret didn't seem to mind.

"Well, I expect next time I see you, it'll be for you to be leading negotiations. You've got spunk, I'll tell you that." Mäkret gave a hearty laugh, patting Sadie on the back. The force almost knocked the breath out of her, but she gave a great grin in return. "Now, get out of here! I'll have the hide and the map waiting on the east side of camp. That's the direction you'll need to take to make it to Tinga village. It should be a 7-day trip, with good timing."

Sadie stood, brushing off her clothes. "Thank you, again." Mäkret grinned and waved her off. Grabbing her stuff, Sadie started her way over toward where Mäkret had directed her.

The village was quiet. Occasionally she'd hear the rustling of trees in the breeze, and the light snore of sleepers nearby. A few of the fires from earlier were still burning, though they were barely a pile of coals at this point. The warm light illuminated the walkways, casting orange and red tones across the dirt paths. It also cast shadows around her, which seemed to dance and move without cause. A chill ran up her span, and she wrapped her jacket tighter around herself.

A loud rustle sounded in the bushes to her right, and she froze, listening. The rustling grew louder, and Sadie prepared to run as a shadowy figure emerged and began to approach her. She could only make out the silhouette of the large shape in the darkness. It called out her name.

 "Sadie!"