Chapter Ten

"Do you want me to walk you to your apartment and wait there for you to get ready?"

"Don't be ridiculous. You have to get ready as well and I am entirely capable of walking myself down the stairs to my apartment and getting ready without having someone there essentially holding my hand." She took a deep breath and realized her words were harsh. "I'm sorry. I do appreciate your offer, but it's alright, I'm alright."

"No need to apologize. I'll meet you down at your apartment when I'm ready to go then I'll walk you?"

"Sure. I'll see you in a few." Adelaide left the apartment and started down the stairs. Her mind was on other things than a few nights ago like if she should bring Enola a gift the next day or something to help break the poor girl out of the prison she was forced into. Once she arrived at her apartment door however the only thing she could think about was the night she was attacked. There were still bloody handprints on her door. Martin had her blood on his hands while he hit the door. The deafening sound of the pounding door echoed through her mind, sending a chill down her spine. For a moment, she was there again. Terrified, sitting on the floor with the fire poker in hand, ready to fight to her last breath. Running out of blood along with the energy to fight. Treasuring each breath, each heartbeat, knowing it very well could be her last. Once she snapped out of it, she realized tears had been running from her eyes, and she was pulling at the skin on her arm so harshly that she had nail intents that had begun to bleed. She didn't want Sherlock to worry, but she needed to feel safe right now and the only place where she did was with him.

She ran up the stairs as if someone were chasing her, let herself into his apartment, and slammed the door behind her, quickly locking it. Sherlock immediately emerged from his room, only partially dressed. It appeared he just put his vest on when she entered his apartment and hadn't had the chance to button it up yet.

"Adelaide, what's-" She cut him off by rushing over to him and wrapping her arms tightly around him. He froze for a moment, surprised by the blonde's actions before wrapping his arms tightly around her. He gently rubbed her back while she sobbed into his chest. "I've got you, I'm here. You're safe now."

"I know." She spoke in a voice he had never heard her use before. She sounded so vulnerable, yet sure about the words she was saying. They remained in each other's arms until Adelaide pulled back, quickly drying her tears. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to scare you. I saw my door, and I just-" A tear ran down her face, and before she could wipe it away, Sherlock placed his hand on her cheek and wiped it away for her.

"I'm always here for you Adelaide. No matter what." He grabbed both of her hands in his own and placed a gentle kiss on both of them. When he kissed the second hand, he noticed the fresh blood dripping down her arm. He let out a soft sigh and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. He ran over to his first-aid kit and quickly cleaned her arm and bandaged it. After washing his hands, he quickly buttoned up his vest then grabbed his coat off the coat rack and put it on.

"Would it be better if I grabbed your clothes for you so you don't have to go down there?"

"Probably, but I now know how skittish you are around corsets so I can grab my own clothes."

"I'm not skittish around corsets, I just didn't want to make you uncomfortable." Her eyes softened for a moment at his words.

"Well, thank you. I think I'm alright to grab my own clothes though. It'll be easier so I can also do my hair in my own bathroom so I have everything I need there." He nodded and offered his arm to her which she gratefully accepted. They started down the stairs, but at the sight of the door, her heart fluttered and she involuntarily gasped.

"Close your eyes."

"What?"

"I'll guide you to your room, close your eyes for now before we can clean up your apartment." She nodded and did as she was told, knowing it was for the best. He opened her door and carefully guided Adelaide to her bedroom. "I'll be standing just right outside your bedroom door."