Chapter 1: Fields Of Elation

"Your name is a sin I breathe, like oxygen

Caught in the careless arms of lust, again

Nobody else can pull me out

The fields of elation, quiet and loamy"

- Fields of Elation by Sleep Token
______________________________________

Everything was different from then on, his roommate began to notice changes in the man's behavior. He was much more distant than usual.

After a few days of this, the shorter roommate had enough. He approached the dissociated man while he was sitting on the couch, staring out of the window. 

"We need to have a conversation." 

"Hm?" The tall, muscular man turned towards his roommate and crossed his legs, focusing his attention on him. 

"What happened to you? It's like you're not even here. You seem to have a lot on your mind, and I think it's time you . . . get some help." 

"Don't worry too much. I think . . . I've already found help," his voice trailed off at the end, looking away. He didn't want to explain his encounter with . . . whoever that was . . . quite yet. Should he ever tell anyone? He trusted his roommate with his life, but what if he told him that a mysterious god came to him in his dreams and promised to fix him? 

"You know you can trust me. If you need anything, don't hesitate to inform me, got it?" 

"Mhm." 

The roommate lets out a sigh. "Now, onto another topic, I have an idea for some song lyrics. Have you heard of aqua regia? So, it's a mixture of concentrated nitric and hydrochloric acids, and it has the ability to dissolve gold-" 

Here we go again. 

The man tries to listen for as long as he can, before suddenly, he feels himself get pulled back under into a deep sleep. 

. . . 

This time, he doesn't appear in the dark forest, but in a sunny field. A cold breeze sends a chill through him. As he is shirtless, he shivers, but then he feels fabric placed over his shoulders. He found himself subconsciously slipping his arms through the sleeves. The black cloak was warm and comfortable. 

As he adjusts his new cloak, the familiar voice speaks again.

"Do you enjoy this place?"

It sounds like music to his ears.

"I love it here. It's the most tranquil my mind has been in ages."

"Is that so? Do you wish you could be here forever?"

"Undoubtedly."

"Very well, then."

A figure appears, a shadowy silhouette of the man. Vines sprout from the ground, entwining with one another. The cloaked man notices something tangled in the vines.

A mask.

The vines come closer, carrying the mask to him. He takes it and examines the design. 

"Put it on."

He obeys and puts the mask on his face. A mirror appears in front of him, showing him his new self. Pulling the hood of his cloak over his head, he realizes this is his new reality, giving every part of himself to a mysterious sleep god. 

This will be better for him, though, right?

The mirror disappears, replaced by the shadowy deity. It opens its arms.

"Come to me, my Vessel." 

The new vessel steps forward and wraps his arms tightly around them. Tears of joy sting his eyes as he feels caring arms lovingly embrace him.

Vessel finally feels like he belongs.