nine

Junior year (College)

"Karina, it's not going to fit."

Karina snorts loudly. "That's what she said."

Winter rolls her eyes. "I'm serious. And it's like, way too expensive."

They stand side by side, staring at the tree in front of them. It was Karina's idea to go out and get a Christmas tree for their tiny college apartment this year, and Winter has been against it since the beginning. It's just not logical. Their apartment is too small. Where will it go? What will they do with it when it's dying?

"Snickers, where is your Christmas spirit? Did it die along with the rest of your soul?"

"I can have Christmas spirit and still think logically about things." Winter says emotionlessly. "Also, I'm fucking freezing."

The Christmas tree farm is located about an hour outside of town, where the snow is much heavier. Karina is practically swimming in layers of clothing. The only thing visible is the red tip of her nose and a small strip of her eyes. Because Winter is normal, she doesn't own four winter coats; and it turns out that maybe Karina was on to something. Because Winter's black hat and gray puffy coat are nothing against the bitter cold air.

"Also how are we going to even get it home? A taxi drove us here, remember? We don't have a car to tie it to."

Karrina shrugs. "Tie it to the taxi? I don't know! We'll figure it out. Just help me pick one." She grabs Winter's shoulders, shaking her. "Come on! This is supposed to be fun, you wet blanket!"

Winter sighs, a small smile making its way into her face. "Okay. Fine. But this one is too fat."

Karina gasps, turning to the tree and patting it. "She didn't mean it, tree. You are beautiful just the way you are."

"I'm leaving." Winter deadpans.

Karina laughs. "Okay, okay I'm sorry. What about that one?" She points to the a smaller tree next to Winter.

"It's like...missing spots. Look it's all bunchy at the bottom." Her nose wrinkles. Karina blinks at her.

"Dude. It's a tree."

"You told me to help you decide! I'm just giving my opinion."

Karina chuckles. "Your opinion is exhausting." She drones. "But okay. Let's just keep looking then."

Winter deliberately leads them to the section of the farm with the extremely small trees. Karina rolls her eyes but doesn't object. The snow on the ground is freshly fallen; still fluffy and light. The air smells like pine and firewood. Winter actually loves places like this. She loves the outdoors. College hasn't really allowed for relaxing time in the fresh air, so going out like this to far away locations is comforting and refreshing.

"What 'bout this one?" Karina asks, pointing to a small, skinny tree.

Winter frowns. "It doesn't...look jolly."

Karina sighs. "That one?" She points to another shorter tree.

"Lopsided."

"I'm going to smack you." Karina says, groaning. "Why are you so picky?"

"I'm not picky! I just know what I want."

"Which is what?"

Winter hums, looking around. "It's got to have a certain...look..." Her eyes fall on a small, well proportioned tree behind Karina. "Bingo."

Karina raises an eyebrow, turning around and following Winter's line of sight. "That one? It's so small!"

"Have you forgotten what our apartment looks like?" Winter asks incredulously. "It'll look huge once it's in there."